I'm of two minds with the CI grate. It's OK and can, I suppose, impart nice sear marks. But I bought a third party, SS grate and if nothing else it is much easier to clean, needs no seasoning and will handle every chore at any temperature as well or better than the CI grate.

IMO...

I keep a can of cooking oil spray by the grill. I try to remember to spray the CI grate lightly before each cook and again after it cools off if I've gone into "high" range. When I brush the grate down, I spray it. I've only "formally" seasoned it a couple of times in the 8-9 years I've used it.

In my opinion, A CI grill grate doesn't need the care that one would want to give a fine old cast iron skillet.
Keep it clean, spray it and cook on it. That's what I do...

On 4/16/2019 at 3:49 PM, Rip said:

I keep a can of cooking oil spray by the grill. I try to remember to spray the CI grate lightly before each cook and again after it cools off if I've gone into "high" range. When I brush the grate down, I spray it. I've only "formally" seasoned it a couple of times in the 8-9 years I've used it.

In my opinion, A CI grill grate doesn't need the care that one would want to give a fine old cast iron skillet.
Keep it clean, spray it and cook on it. That's what I do...

Completely agree. My akorn is nearly 6 years old and I've only had to completely re-season the grate twice since I've had it.

The first time was the first time my wife ever used it, she lit it, got the fire going well enough to shut the lid then walked away for way to long. When I went to check on how her burgers were coming along I noticed they were still raw and in kitchen and she was upstairs. Went outside and my poor akorn was well over 700 degrees. The second time was my fault, I didn't use it as much this winter as usual and we had a relatively mild winter which allowed some mold to grow on grate. So I stripped it and re-seasoned. 

• 2 weeks later...