AceUh

Negative Reviews

Does anyone have anything negative to say about the Vision Pro Series Ceramic grills? From all my research, they seem to be pretty high quality at half the price...

I'm new to the smoker / Kamado game... but I can't stop cookin on my Vision. The only things I don't like are: 1. The cheap side tables. 2. All the branding 3. The colorful temp gauge. 4. the dual layer rack is a PITA to put in.

@AceUh

Granted mine just came in Monday, and I didn’t get to cook on it until last night, but I absolutely love mine!  No complaints on my end as of yet, except peeling the sticker off the side table was a huge pain in the backside. All the adhesive stuck to the table and it took about 30 minutes to get it all off even with mineral spirits.  I then coated  mine with polyurethane. 

The tables don’t bother me and I don’t have any issues with the dual layer rack either. Seeing where the top one hooks into the bottom one I made a mental note and have no issues taking it apart or putting it together. 

Personally I like the color coated temperature gauge. 

The one one thing I can say I am not the happiest about is the lava stone bracket. I don’t know if you have one or not, maybe you have the same issue?  So the brace extends to form an “x” and grabs ahold of the inner ceramic bowl. Mine will make contact at all four points, but only once the lava stone is in place. Prior to putting the stone on, one side wants to stick up a great deal. 

I bought the Pro C about a month ago and I do not have any complaints. I've done a brisket, multiple steaks, burgers, pizza, and vegetables. I've found it extremely easy to control temperature and get out of it what I expect. 

I used a dremel to cut the notches off the upper rack so that it easily removes. I purchased the Vision Spider from the Ceramic Store and then two 1/2 moon kiln shelves from a local pottery store to use as a deflector. I also purchased two 8"X11" plates of 3/8" steel to use for pizza, veggies, searing, etc. 

I moved to this from an Original Bradley Smoker and while that was nice, I would never go back. 

I have zero complaints with my Pro C either other than all the advertising that has been mentioned.

I have no problems with the lava stone and bracket either. Mine sits just fine without the stone on there. I did notice the nut holding it together likes to come loose, but I just tighten it up when I take it out and put back in.

The temp control for me has been great as well. I haven't cooked real high temps on it yet, but the smoking I have done thus far it holds the temp where I want it without much of an issue at all you just have to really watch how fast you heat it up if you are going to smoke or you might overshoot the temp. I haven't had that happen, but I have been very cautious and conservative with opening vents when I start it to avoid that problem. Takes me longer to reach 250 I suppose because of this, but having it go over and then try and scramble to get it back down doesn't sound fun either.

Everything I have cooked on it has turned out amazing!

@bushcraft_joe I bought the Spider and some 1/2 moons from Ceramic Grill Store, still waiting on those. But overall I'm very happy with the grill. Done tri tip, rib eyes, smoked burgers, and chicken for the wife. Shes pregnant so can't stand the smell of the smoke but she loves the flavor! 

I'll keep you posted on the Spider, comes tomorrow and I'm going to throw down some Tri Tips with a buddy. One of these days I'll have enough time to do a pork butt or a brisket. Which do you recommend as a first smoke? @John Setzler

Back in 2012 a Vision Pro S was my first kamado.  I still own it and cook on it regularly.  I sealed the electric starter door within the first month of ownership.  I did away with the "soft close" piston.  I took off the side tables because I've got plenty of prep space in my outdoor cooking area.  I've replaced gaskets with High Que Gold Standard a couple of times, and purchased a CGS expandable rack within the first year.  That's it.  No cracked fireboxes, no leaks, no problems holding 225* for hours on end.

The bands are stainless.  The lid and base are grooved, so no band slipping/lid falling off issues, the firebox is pre-cut so no heat stress/cracking issues (my Primo XL and my Joe Jr. both have cracked fireboxes) my top cap is cast iron, so no rust issues.  Customer Service, should you need it, is great.  For the money, IMO, the Vision is a remarkable value.

I learned to kamado cook on a Vision Pro C and cooked on I for almost 3 years. Great grill never any real issues, what little I had to deal with was gasket replacement, and a faulty thermometer which Vision customer service took care of no sweat. I found the grill very capable, and.  dependable. I did several cooks a week usually including a high heat pizza cook. The Vision always preformed. Eventually I got so into Kamado Cooking that I wanted a traditional vent set up and got a BGE. Nothing at all wrong with the Vision, I just wanted a traditional set up.  I gave my Vision Pro C to the guy who brought out and set up my BGE (he had a young family 3 kids and probably could never afford a ceramic grill at this point in his life, but he sold them and set them up). He still cooks on my old Vision probably 3 times a week and cooks a lot of pizza for his kids, I talk with him all the time. . No issues for him either. The old Vision has been worked pretty darn hard and just keeps chugging. No broken ceramics, no major issues. I second what Jack says. Very capable grill, that is a great value for it's price point. I can't think of anything I could possibly say that would deter anyone from buying one. Wonderful, reasonably priced kamado IMO. If you get one I highly recommend the CGS Vision AR spider combo with the extender. Very versatile set up. 

9 hours ago, AceUh said:

@bushcraft_joe I bought the Spider and some 1/2 moons from Ceramic Grill Store, still waiting on those. But overall I'm very happy with the grill. Done tri tip, rib eyes, smoked burgers, and chicken for the wife. Shes pregnant so can't stand the smell of the smoke but she loves the flavor! 

I'll keep you posted on the Spider, comes tomorrow and I'm going to throw down some Tri Tips with a buddy. One of these days I'll have enough time to do a pork butt or a brisket. Which do you recommend as a first smoke? @John Setzler

I always recommend a 6 to 8 lb boston butt at 300°F as a first smoke.