itskrod00

KAMADO JOE- CERAMIC GRILL MYTH?

The only down side like most mentioned is getting it to cool down if you overshoot. Temperature control is easy to learn. When you cook multiple items just do a little planning so that you always keep increasing the temp.

I had a Char-Griller Akorn before, a ceramic kamado is way more easier to stabilize. It all depends on your experience of course. I'm fairly inexperienced (not very successful with Akorn or Kettle), but never had a problem getting to and maintaining the temp on my big joe.

2 hours ago, txrocks said:

The only down side like most mentioned is getting it to cool down if you overshoot. Temperature control is easy to learn. When you cook multiple items just do a little planning so that you always keep increasing the temp.

I had a Char-Griller Akorn before, a ceramic kamado is way more easier to stabilize. It all depends on your experience of course. I'm fairly inexperienced (not very successful with Akorn or Kettle), but never had a problem getting to and maintaining the temp on my big joe.

I keep a drip pan in my cooker at all times to keep it clean, but it doubles as a water pan.  If my temps start to climb I pour in an inch or so of water and it brings the temps back down.  If it's still too high, add more water.  This tends to happen when I need to open it for some reason like adding more food, basting, etc.  If I never opened the lid the temperature wouldn't change for 18 hours.

I have a BGE, KJ and Weber Summit. After using all three for some time, I'd keep the Summit if I could only have one. 

On 4/17/2019 at 8:53 AM, itskrod00 said:

I guess the better question i should ask is, do i have to take any different precautions then i already do on my weber summit. Cooking wise and lighting wise? or pretty much the same?

I'm not sure of the lighting procedure on the Summit, but never use lighter fluid in a Kamado!

On 4/18/2019 at 2:23 AM, Likes Big Butts said:

Different strokes.  I love my KJ and wouldn't trade it for anything.  With the Akorn Jr. I feel like I have all my grilling and smoking needs answered.  But everybody ain't me and if you aren't satisfied then make a change.

Any of the downsides to a ceramic are negligible to me.  Yes, if you overshoot it can be tough to bring the temp back down.  So don't overshoot, take your time and enjoy the day.  And a lot of meats (not brisket!) can tolerate some high temps for a bit while you cool it back down.  

If I have to choose one grill for life i'll go with Akorn Jr. I use it like another stove range, a mircowave and a smoker at home and I take it to beaches and camping all the time. It's enough for my family of four and takes 3~4 briquettes /hr cooking at 225. Weber should have made their 18" kettle and 22" WSM double walled, more practical and more competitive. 

I was talking to the Handy ACE in Tucker, Ga, a platinum Weber sellers, the guy told me they only sold 2 summit in '18 and weber will slash the price on it. 

On 5/5/2019 at 4:10 PM, Daz said:

If I have to choose one grill for life i'll go with Akorn Jr. I use it like another stove range, a mircowave and a smoker at home and I take it to beaches and camping all the time. It's enough for my family of four and takes 3~4 briquettes /hr cooking at 225. Weber should have made their 18" kettle and 22" WSM double walled, more practical and more competitive. 

I was talking to the Handy ACE in Tucker, Ga, a platinum Weber sellers, the guy told me they only sold 2 summit in '18 and weber will slash the price on it. 

I could totally survive on the Jr alone.  As for the Summit, they did overshoot their mark on that one.  I wanted it before I saw pricing then I just thought why not a ceramic then?  If the price dropped significantly enough I might consider it still.

On 4/17/2019 at 3:35 PM, prowe said:

That summit is pretty mint. So is kJ, and yeah lottsa toys to go with kJ. And there is just more and more toys as time goes by. But at the end of the day I gotta say you Got a beautiful cooker ( I’m fairly familiar with it. Never cooked on it, but handled it, eaten from one and read reviews and Justin’s videos). I would be hard pressed to part ways with such a wonderful cooker. But...always follow your heart.  And wallet. 

I AM SELLING MY SUMMIT AND JUST BOUGHT A BIG JOE. AT THE END OF THE DAY I JUT WANTED SOMETHING DIFFERENT. I ALREADY HAVE MY 26INCH KETTLE. AND THE BIG JOE IS GONNA LOOK AWESOME ON MY ISLAND WHEN ITS DONE. PLUS THE ACCESSORIES ARE WHAT PUSHED ME OVER THE EDGE.

I went through 4 weber kettles in my early adulthood.   They lasted about 10 years on average before they either burned the porcelain off (did not affect the function) but it was pretty ugly.  Or they rusted/corroded at the bottom vents. Hard to believe the $2000 summit wouldn't rust/corrode out too.   I loved my kettles but wanted to expand my horizons a little.  Priced a BEG  years ago and couldn't justify the cost.  Finally got a KJ and have never regretted it.  

4 hours ago, itskrod00 said:

I AM SELLING MY SUMMIT AND JUST BOUGHT A BIG JOE. AT THE END OF THE DAY I JUT WANTED SOMETHING DIFFERENT. I ALREADY HAVE MY 26INCH KETTLE. AND THE BIG JOE IS GONNA LOOK AWESOME ON MY ISLAND WHEN ITS DONE. PLUS THE ACCESSORIES ARE WHAT PUSHED ME OVER THE EDGE.

Yo, dude, I gotcha...just , please stop slinging all caps at me. Ouch.  If you are in New England please let me know what you are looking to get for the summit. Quite interesting.   

Btw, I got a big joe and a classic joe. You will be quite happy I’m sure. Great kookers. 

Yeah - I'm in PA and could be interested in a Summit, if you happen to be somewhere nearby.  Where are you located and how much are you looking to get?  Post the Summit in the classifieds - maybe you'll get a bite there!

13 hours ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

I went through 4 weber kettles in my early adulthood.   They lasted about 10 years on average before they either burned the porcelain off (did not affect the function) but it was pretty ugly.  Or they rusted/corroded at the bottom vents. Hard to believe the $2000 summit wouldn't rust/corrode out too.   I loved my kettles but wanted to expand my horizons a little.  Priced a BEG  years ago and couldn't justify the cost.  Finally got a KJ and have never regretted it.  

i wanted to expand my horizons and try something new, that was the main reason for switching up. But the summit is a damn good grill/smoker tho. 

11 hours ago, prowe said:

Yo, dude, I gotcha...just , please stop slinging all caps at me. Ouch.  If you are in New England please let me know what you are looking to get for the summit. Quite interesting.   

Btw, I got a big joe and a classic joe. You will be quite happy I’m sure. Great kookers. 

Sorry for the caps, its a habit. unfortunately in on the west coast.

49 minutes ago, KaBudokan said:

Yeah - I'm in PA and could be interested in a Summit, if you happen to be somewhere nearby.  Where are you located and how much are you looking to get?  Post the Summit in the classifieds - maybe you'll get a bite there!

Im in Ca. I am actually meeting with someone who wants to buy it from me this weekend.