Sign in to follow this  
Tiki Joe

New user

Hello,

I just received a Pit Boss Kamado grill/smoker as a gift.

I don't know the first thing about how to properly use it.

I've been reading and viewing  a lot of info available on line, but I'm not seeing much for a novice like me.

I will be firing it up tomorrow and start cooking.

Does anyone have advice for a beginner?

Welcome to the forum! There is a lot of info for new users here, if you just do a search. Will you be doing a low temp smoke or grilling with your first cook? If you are planning to do low temp, just remember to start a small section in the center of your pile of lump charcoal. The larger fire you start, the harder it is to controal your temps. If you are going to just grill then it works like most regualr grills, just just remember to burp the lid before you open it.

Sounds like you got a nice gift and you have come to a great site to learn how to use it.  I'd suggest you start by roasting a chicken, there are plenty of recopies out there to choose from.  Watch some videos on how to start the fire and  adjust the vents on your new grill to get to the desired temperature.  Next go buy a bag of charcoal, fire your Pit Boss up and enjoy the experience of doing something new.  Best of luck on the first cook!

P.S. Get a digital thermometer to check the temperature of the meat.  

Welcome. There are a lot of great resources on YouTube. The Kamado Joe YouTube channel is an outstanding resource. 

Welcome to the club. One word of safety advice: when opening your kamado, burp it. You can accomplish burping by opening the lid just an inch or so, holding it there for 2 seconds, then opening the lid fully. This will prevent a dangerous thing called blowback...in which you'll burn your arms and maybe your face.

Just burp it each time and you'll be A-OK. Again, welcome to the kamado club!

@Tiki Joe

Hi I have the same Kamado as you have a look in the threads for the Pitt Boss about some possible minor mods you may like to make. Also keep the spanners handy and check all the nuts and bolts on the hinge regularly, as they can work loose and cause issues with the lid closing. 

It's a great Kamado and you will produce some wonderful food on it. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Smokingdadbbq
      In this video, you will find all of the information necessary to properly unbox and assemble your new Kamado Joe Classic III grill.  I didn't think to make a video for the first one, so thought I would share tips I picked up from doing it a second time around.

• By LargeRedJoe
      A friend of mine, who I think has every Big Green Egg and BGE accessory known to man, speaks highly of this local market and the classes they offer on basic butchery for pork and lamb, sausage-making and curing meats (charcuterie, to use a 50-cent word).

Pine Street Market is in Avondale Estates, located near Decatur and just east of downtown Atlanta.  I'm looking to get some friends to attend a class with me. All classes are $100 and last three hours. Plus you get to take home some of your classwork! 

Cured Meat
      June 20 Come join Rusty & crew for a hands-on cured meat workshop as they explain how to make salami, guanciale, pancetta, & various cured meats. Participants grind, season, & stuff their own salamis and dry cure pancetta. This class runs from 10 – 1 and includes a lunch of smoked meats, country sides, and beverages. Classes are held at Pine Street Market. Refunds are not available for missed classes.   Whole Hog Class With Gum Creek Farms July 11 Get to know cuts of pork from the inside-out. During this interactive demonstration, Rusty & Asa break down a whole pig while explaining various cuts of meat and the nuances of butchery. Participants slice their own pork chops and create two pounds of signature bacon! This class runs from 10 – 1 and includes a lunch of slow roasted pork shoulder, braised vegetables and beverages. Whole Hog class attendees will take home their own pork chop and bacon. Due to the curing process, bacon is available for in-store pick up the following Saturday.    Sausage-Making July 18 Hands-on sausage making workshop. Learn about grinding, casing and cooking methods. Participants take home two pounds of their own sausage creation. This class runs from 10 – 1 and includes a lunch of beer braised bratwurst, country sides, and beverages. Sausage Class attendees will take home 2 pounds of their own hand made sausage.    Cooking 101: Basic Butchery August 8 Hands-on intro butchering workshop. Learn to breakdown a whole chicken, trim & tie a roast, and prepare a stuffed pork loin. This class runs from 10 – 1 and includes a lunch of slow roasted pork, country sides, and beverages. Participants take home the cuts of meat they created.    Lamb Chop August 22 @ 10:00 am, Avondale Estates Learn to break down a whole local lamb, supplied by one of our favorite local farms! We’ll create not only chops, but also roasts, lamb steaks and other delicious lamb preparations. Each participant will take home their butchering efforts of various lamb roasts & steaks. This class runs from 10 – 1 and includes a lunch of braised lamb sausage, summer vegetables and beverages.    
      The current schedule only runs into August but I'm confident they'll run more classes starting in the Fall.