Water pan or no?

If you haven’t started your cook yet, here’s my $.02 

Humidity aids the development of the smoke ring and also helps produce a smokier flavor as smoke particles will adhere to moist surfaces. This is one reason people spritz their meats. Read this

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/mythbusting-smoke-ring-no-smoke-necessary

On 4/20/2019 at 8:03 AM, Shenkbri said:

If you haven’t started your cook yet, here’s my $.02 

Humidity aids the development of the smoke ring and also helps produce a smokier flavor as smoke particles will adhere to moist surfaces. This is one reason people spritz their meats. Read this

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/mythbusting-smoke-ring-no-smoke-necessary

In a kamado you always have moist food not so much in a gaser or a weber kettle for example  i always have great smoke rings and never have had a issue with any ceramic cooker i owned just the nature of the beast with these cookers

In my Akorn I always put an empty aluminum pan to catch drippings which keeps the cooker clean.  But it also serves as a temperature control; if my cooker starts to get too hot I open it up and put about an inch of water in the drip pan.  It's hard to bring temperatures down once they start to spike so the water helps mitigate the spike.  Temperature spikes for me usually happen near the end of the cook when I start opening the lid for various reasons, introducing a fresh supply of oxygen.