I had just finished doing a coarse grind on a chuckie for burgers when I started thinking about sausage.  I decided right then to do a test run of a single 1 pound cotto salami round.

I used what I had on hand.  @Smokehowze was one of my sources of information.

Smoked salt

Tender quick

Sugar

Cracked black pepper

Powdered milk

Ground coriander 

Cardamon

garlic powder

Water

I also inoculated it with a 7 strain germ.  This is something I want to play more with.

I didn't have any casings so I used a Mason jar.  Once mixed and packed it sat in the fridge for a few days to mature and cure.

I cooked it in the sous vide at 165 for about 3 hours to an internal temp of 155.  Let it rest for a few hours, dried it off and vacuum sealed it, back in the fridge for almost a week to mellow.

Fresh out of the water after the rest

20190414_191521.thumb.jpg.815f893fed4f5e406217f35d28b48f34.jpg

After 5 days to mellow 

20190419_130646.thumb.jpg.f354c36ef31b2380a6da7a16d728be05.jpg

A few pics, my first taste.  I think I'll do a large batch for Christmas gifts.  It's tasty!

20190419_131027.thumb.jpg.4f99f11400c8f6d08886118268356919.jpg

20190419_131146.thumb.jpg.5724cfdb2d782f845eebbad73a4a9013.jpg

20190419_131331.thumb.jpg.0ac8d436ebf84fdf3a51828c0a82b4e6.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, philpom said:

The mason jar idea is genius 

Thanks. 

Oh, not to mention the "juice" left in the jar either in liquid form, cooled off a bit after removal from the bath, or chilled to a jelly is delicious... and of course the liquid is a great health food !   One of my favorite bonuses of the straight sided or tapered mason jar method. 

One challenge with the jars is packing it tight to avoid air pockets in the finished product.  I see from your result  you mastered that. 

You need to make some pressed meat cold cuts next.  Especially a "cured" beef loaf using chuck roast.  Or a "cured"  & "boiled" ham loaf using pork butt.

I can post my starting point recipes if you are interested.

• 10 months later...
On 5/20/2019 at 7:41 PM, Smokehowze said:

Thanks. 

Oh, not to mention the "juice" left in the jar either in liquid form, cooled off a bit after removal from the bath, or chilled to a jelly is delicious... and of course the liquid is a great health food !   One of my favorite bonuses of the straight sided or tapered mason jar method. 

One challenge with the jars is packing it tight to avoid air pockets in the finished product.  I see from your result  you mastered that. 

You need to make some pressed meat cold cuts next.  Especially a "cured" beef loaf using chuck roast.  Or a "cured"  & "boiled" ham loaf using pork butt.

I can post my starting point recipes if you are interested.

OK, I am ready to try these, feel free to post those starting recipes!  I know this is old but I suddenly have lots of time at home.  

On 3/21/2020 at 3:31 PM, philpom said:

OK, I am ready to try these, feel free to post those starting recipes!  I know this is old but I suddenly have lots of time at home.  

Here is one for a Beef Cotto - similar ingredients to yours already.  Using the gram weight and percentages is the more accurate approach over the volume measurements which are there as the "well how much might I need  for X grams".    It is also more easily scaled  with the % factors.   

This is 6 mm (1/4 inch) grinder plate using single grind.

For the corn syrup solids(CSS) you could probably use dextrose or clear Karo syrup at a moderately adjusted rate.  Maybe  80% of the calculated amount of CSS if using dextrose  or alternatively 10% more if using the Karo.

Let me see what else I can find in the way of recipes.   Want to try some homemade cold cuts?  

I was going to do a batch of my hot Italian sausage  this weekend but still no pork butts easily found in the stores. Guess it is in same category as toilet paper.  But I did score two 11 lb prime brisket flats at my Costco for $2.99 a pound !  

BEEF COTTO SALAMI

Beef Chuck Roast 5.83 lbs 2644.4 grams           %       of   meat weight
Pickling Salt (Morton) 9.00 tsp 56.8 grams 2.15%
Cardamon 1.63 tsp 3.4 grams 0.12%
Ground Coriander 1.12 tsp 2.0 grams 0.07%
Garlic -Granulated 2.01 tsp 7.8 grams 0.21%
Cracked Black Pepper 5.25 tsp 17.5 grams 0.66%
Whole Black peppercorns 5.25 tsp 19.5 grams 0.74%
Corn Syrup Solids 0.32 cup 56.0 grams 2.40%
Non Fat Dry Milk 1.17 cup 110.3 grams 4.17%

Prague Powder #1 (pink salt) 1.17 tsp 6.6 grams 0.25%

Cold Water 1.25 cup