Wings

rics

I've done both. Depends on the flavor profile you want. Direct gives you crispy skins and a hint of smokey flavor. Indirect gives much form time for the wings (I only use drumettes) to absorb the smoke and then I finish over high heat. Either way, they're quite tasty!

Thank you I think I'll go indirect for a time and then crisp them at the end. This is a sweeter recipe. Using Watermelon Puree!!!!! I am testing a recipe that my Daughter gave me for my youngest Grandaughter's first b-day in June. It will be a Watermelon Theme....

I've done both. Depends on the flavor profile you want. Direct gives you crispy skins and a hint of smokey flavor. Indirect gives much form time for the wings (I only use drumettes) to absorb the smoke and then I finish over high heat. Either way, they're quite tasty!

Cc, do you set up the primo 1/2 deflector for this? I loves me some wings!

Cc, do you set up the primo 1/2 deflector for this?

Freddyj - it really depends on how many wings I need to grill. If I'm cooking for just a small group, say 2-6, I'll use my firebox divider on the left side and a deflector plate. If I'm going for a much bigger group and I'm in charge of the appeteasers, I'll go with the firebox divider and both deflector plates. If I'm really looking to grill wings for a large party, I'll use a full firebox and go direct. This way I can do a large number of wings in a relatively short period of time. I guess now that I really think about it, it all depends on the size of the party I'm cooking for. Small ... deflector plate, medium ... both deflector plates, large ... no plates, full fire box, and direct.

Hope this helps. Here's to nothing but great cooks! :D

Cc, do you set up the primo 1/2 deflector for this?

Freddyj - it really depends on how many wings I need to grill. If I'm cooking for just a small group, say 2-6, I'll use my firebox divider on the left side and a deflector plate. If I'm going for a much bigger group and I'm in charge of the appeteasers, I'll go with the firebox divider and both deflector plates. If I'm really looking to grill wings for a large party, I'll use a full firebox and go direct. This way I can do a large number of wings in a relatively short period of time. I guess now that I really think about it, it all depends on the size of the party I'm cooking for. Small ... deflector plate, medium ... both deflector plates, large ... no plates, full fire box, and direct.

Hope this helps. Here's to nothing but great cooks! :D

It does, thank you. The kamado world is new and mysterious to me. In time I'm sure that ill find my favorite ways, but in the learning stage I like to find out what works for others. Nothing like a few successful cooks to keep your interest going!

Fellow grillarians, Wings direct or indirect????

Here's how I do it. In fact, I did wings last night..

I like mine naked, lightly seasoned before going on the grill. I always keep the wing intact sans flipper. Indirect heat, using upper and lower grill grates. Two to three medium to small chunks of oak, wrapped in foil. And then roasted, lid closed of course for 45 minutes to an hour at 350 to 400 degrees. Make sure the skin feels tight to the touch and not rubbery before pulling them off . Ideally you'll have the perfect combination of firm skin and magnificent juiciness.

I use oak for fast cooking and it is fantastic on wings.

Next time I'll post a pic.