Sign in to follow this  
markoud

Primo All Around How to achieve low temps?

Hi all,

I just recently delved into the world of BBQ with a Primo All - Around and I absolutely love it.

However, I have a question.

It seems that I cannot go below 250F on my kamado. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I am planning on cooking my first brisket next week and I would like to be able to hold 175F (or around there).

This is how I fire up the grill:

• I place some lump charcoal in the basket and light them up with an electric BBQ lighter
  • At 5 minutes, when the initial load is hot I place some more charcoal in the basket (to fill it up)
  • I wait for about another 5-10 minutes for all the coals to heat up and then use a blow dryer to really get them going
  • I close the lid of the kamado and start closing the bottom vent
  • However, my kamado is already heated up way above 175F (which was fine so far because I wanted it around 300F+).

From what I have observed the top vent is not doing anything at all for regulating the temperature, which is odd since everything I read so far on controlling the temp says to use the top vent (for micro adjustments). Even when I have the bottom vent fully closed the temp does not drop below 220F. I believe is because the ceramic walls have already absorbed too much heat.

If anyone has the Primo all-around and is able to use it at 175F I would appreciate the advice on how to do it.

Thank you all for your assistance,

Demetris

Hi and welcome to Kamado Guru, swing over to the introduction sections and post.

175 will be a challenge but much closer to 200 should be easy.  Get rid of the electric starter, the blow dryer and all of that.  Fill the kamado with lump, create a small hole in the center, drop a jumbo cotton ball that is dripping wet with rubbing alcohol down in the hole and light it.  Bottom full open, lid up.  Allow the cotton to burn out, close the lid, wait until your grill reaches around 175 and then close the top and bottom and top to just about 3/16 - 1/4 inch.  Let it ride and see what happens and adjust from there.

Problem is you are starting with too big a fire to begin with, good luck and report back!

The procedure you outlined would work if your target temperature was 500*

You defiantly lit way too much lump. Follow philpom's procedure and expect at least an hour to come to temp and stabilize. 175* is going to be tough even for veteran users. Also a decent sized brisket would take forever at 175* and actually never finish because it would never get above 175*. Shoot for 250* for first go round. 

Most folks want brisket cooked to about 205. Probe tender is the goal, but generally speaking that happens north of 200 degrees. At 175 you will never have probe tender meat. Listen to Phil and CK.  I think your temp range should be more like 225 to 275.  175 just won’t do.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Freddy Luc
      Hi all, I'm been trying to find someone who sells or ships spiders to canada for the pit boss. I want to set up for direct and indirect grilling can't find parts anywhere. Cermic grill store won't ship to canada ad their canadian distributor is sold out. Anyone here have any ideas????
    • By AK-g
      Hi all,
      First of all, sorry if this post is in the wrong place. Im not sure where to post topics relating to website help.

I have been trying to upload some pics of my cooks (and a profile pic aswell) but everytime the upload progress bar fills up it says failed.
      I have tried it on my phone and pc but both have the same result. File sizes are under the 14.65MB size and are in the .JPG format.
      I have also renamed them so they dont have symbols, brackets, underscores etc.

Any suggestions as to what it could be?

Thanks
           Adam
    • By jfio
      Hi Fellow Gurus- I've owned a Primo Jr. for about two years and love it. It came with a Cypress table which I don't like. So I'm planning to build my own table out of cedar if possible. I'd appreciate it if anyone on the site has plans they'd like to share with me.
    • By ndg_2000
      Hi

I have just got my rotisserie attachment sorted out for the kamado

As I have not cooked with a rotisserie before I was looking for tips/cooking temperature advice for a whole chicken as a starter so I can get a feel for it. 

Also some other cooks that a rotisserie is well suited for.

Thanks in advance 
      Nigel 
    • By HarryLeg
      Hi,
         My Vision S in white came in from Home Depot on Thursday,  I put it together , and finally got to play with it this afternoon. 

After reading extensivly on these forums, I decided to do a temperature test first then finish with something easy for a first cook. I started out shooting for 225°. I loaded the fire box with some US Kingsford hardwood lump a couple of inches above the air holes and used half a Weber starter cube in the middle. After about 10 minutes I threw in the grates and attached my maverick and closed the lid with all vents open. It quickly got up to 175° So I followed the manual and closed the right bottom vent, cracked the left to 1/2, and set the top to 1. It gradually slowed but shot up to 273 and held that for 10 minutes then started a climb to 304°. I was patient but closed the top vent down to almost 0, about 1/32" showing in each hole. The temp dropped to 278° then steadily rose to 288° and stayed there for 30 minutes. At this point it was 1hr 15 mins since I had closed the lid so I decided to shoot for 350°.

I followed the manual again and set the bottom vents to 5 and 7 and the top to 2. The temp started the march again slowing down and settling at 388° for 5 mins then started a slow march to 410° before I dialed the top vent back to almost 0 again and then it started to fall to 329° over the course of 40 mins. I cranked the top vent back to just before 1. ( about 1/8" showing in each hole of the top vent. It slow marched to 419° before I went back to my previous setting watching the temp slow to about 338° after 30 minutes before dumping some old oak chips on the coals and shutting down checking for leaks. I saw a few whisps of smoke leak from the closed top vent at the air holes and a few slight whisps from the lighter door. 

A few thoughts on my tests.  I bought the electric starter but decided not to use it for fear it would start too big a fire. Glad I didn't use it and may return it. I'm happy with getting the lower temperature to settle at 288° as I need to smoke a pork butt and a picnic for the fourth to make NC BBQ ( see my introduction ).  The test for 350° showed me that I need to tweak the bottom vent knobs some more. I don't feel that the grill has any major air leaks and feel lucky in that respect. 

Three hours after shutting down the dome temp was at 150° when I returned to start the grill for supper. I cooked 2 pieces of 2" thick choice top sirloin ( love ribeye but can't do fatty meat anymore).  I banked the coals and found 1 small piece of ember. I split a Webber cube in 3 and restarted everything  eventually reaching 600° to sear the meat.  Did 3 minutes to a side then put the steaks to a cooler place on the grill  for 4 minutes, closing all vents. The steak was medium rare, delicious, and a welcome return to that charcoal taste. 

I really love this grill. At first I was second guessing myself after seeing the classic with the ash drawer at Sam's Club and reading about the leaking issues on a few S' but feel I got a good one. Because of this site I had a checklist when setting up the grill but everything checked out. The dome was aligned and passed the dollar bill test. An observation on the front shock. When I close the lid, the shock catches but then I give it a push and the lid stays down so I won't remove the shock. One question. Looking at the loaded firebox picture( my interpretation of the grill instructions), will that be enough lump for my pork butt cook or should I go higher? I bought a 8 lb butt and 8 lb picnic and will cook at around 300°.Looking forward to my next cook!