Big Joe Changed My View Of Outdoor Cooking

For 10 years I smoked a brisket or a rack of ribs a few times every summer on my Oklahoma Joe and grilled burgers or chicken here and there on my Weber gas grill. I got a Big Joe III a month ago and have already done more long cooks than I did all last year.  I really can't wait for the weekends so I can try a new recipe or technique. 

I think it's the combination versatility and simplicity that has me fired up.  My wife is worried that I have found a new hobby.  Hobbies are EXPENSIVE!

Kamados produce great food with almost "set it and forget it" simplicity.  How does your food compared to what came off the Oklahoma Joe?  My understanding is an offset smoker like the Oklahoma Joe will produce superior end products but the penalty is the babysitting required.  I'm seriously considering getting an offset and using it when I can just sit around drinking beer and smoking meat (which isn't too often) otherwise use the Kamado.

6 minutes ago, moloch16 said:

Kamados produce great food with almost "set it and forget it" simplicity.  How does your food compared to what came off the Oklahoma Joe?  My understanding is an offset smoker like the Oklahoma Joe will produce superior end products but the penalty is the babysitting required.  I'm seriously considering getting an offset and using it when I can just sit around drinking beer and smoking meat (which isn't too often) otherwise use the Kamado.

So far my Kamado cooks have been at least as good as those on the OJ.  It was difficult to maintain temps before because I would nearly always get distracted and find the OJ temp too high or too low. You may be right that a perfect cook on an offset may be slightly better but for me perfect cooks were elusive.

12 hours ago, moloch16 said:

I have heard that. But, after cooking for years on an offset, I am not quite convinced that it produced better product. It was simpler to get the smoke profile and bark I was looking for. Then again, I do think it far easier to produce a moist product on the Kamado. And, I think that now, anyone would be very hard pressed to tell which brisket I may have cooked on an offset vs. on the Kamado.

Stickburners impart more and a better wood smoke flavor but unless you buy a decent reverse smoker the time invested is substantial.

I wish I had discovered stick burners when I was in my 20's, staying up to all hours and then going to work was no problem.

These days, it just ain't gonna happen, so now I use a Kamado and a pellet spitter...

20 hours ago, Chasdev said:

Stickburners impart more and a better wood smoke flavor but unless you buy a decent reverse smoker the time invested is substantial.

I wish I had discovered stick burners when I was in my 20's, staying up to all hours and then going to work was no problem.

These days, it just ain't gonna happen, so now I use a Kamado and a pellet spitter...

Certainly, and no argument on this end. I do think however that it's possible to adjust to the way kamado cooks and learn to compensate for it's 'lesser' smoke profile in order to produce a nearly identical product to the offset. That's what I attempt to do anyway.