How to Take Care of your Kamado Joe Grill

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I like your video John.  I just did the 600 degree cleaning cycle but I noticed it didn't really address some of the debris or drippings on the metal ring that holds the firebox petals together.  Did I just not keep it hot enough for long enough?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

John,

Thank you for the formation on maintaining my BKJ II. Your directions are most usefull.  I have a question: Do I leave the vents open (top & bottom) when I cover my KJ2 when storing outdoors? I do get some mold when I close the grill vents presently.  My KJ2 resides on my outdoor balcony and is always covered when not in use.

Thank you for your assistance.

Gaylon Lowery

1 hour ago, EZmony said:

John,

Thank you for the formation on maintaining my BKJ II. Your directions are most usefull.  I have a question: Do I leave the vents open (top & bottom) when I cover my KJ2 when storing outdoors? I do get some mold when I close the grill vents presently.  My KJ2 resides on my outdoor balcony and is always covered when not in use.

Thank you for your assistance.

Gaylon Lowery

I don't think it matters whether the vents are open or not.  It's gonna get mold growth sitting idle.  The best way to minimize it is when you know the grill isn't gonna be used for a while, let it get up to a dome temp of about 500F for a few minutes before you shut it down.  It's the grease buildup inside the grill that allows the mold growth.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Are there any tips on how to cover it while waiting for it to cool down? My Kamado stays on the deck and obviously when you close the vents and let the fire extinguish the temp doesn’t go down for hours by which point I’m probably asleep if it’s a night cook. 

im concerned about leaving it uncovered if it rains overnight. Unfortunately even leaving on my deck under the balcony it is prone to get wet either through the slats of the balcony or from windy rain. 

• 4 months later...

I intend to use a drip pan. For reference I found a place on line that sells aluminum foil pizza pans in a variety of sizes.   They are very low profile with maybe a 3/4 inch height and I have yet to fill one up with the slow cooks I have done. I have refrained from putting the website that I order from here for now. Being a newbie, I didn't read where it was against the rules to share things like that but I don't want to get booted the same day.