MarkG

New from the UK

@&roid I hadn't but the warranty wouldn't carry over to a new owner so I'd be probably best off with the Wild Goose. I'm also looking at the Akorn Jr, can get it for ~£280 with a deflector. Gives me a taster of the Kamado lifestyle for cheap.

On 4/26/2019 at 3:46 PM, ndg_2000 said:

Hi Mark one more for you to consider 

https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/products/6942/18-inch-freestanding-kamado-grill/

Don't know what the garantee is on this one though. 

One of our new members in Britain purchased one of these. After looking at it closely, it seems to be an older model KJ Classic and also appears to be an excellent buy. However, like the previous post I am not sure of the warranty, so I would check it out and make sure I was happy with it before I purchased one. Looks like a fine grill. 

2 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

One of our new members in Britain purchased one of these. After looking at it closely, it seems to be an older model KJ Classic and also appears to be an excellent buy. However, like the previous post I am not sure of the warranty, so I would check it out and make sure I was happy with it before I purchased one. Looks like a fine grill. 

I emailed them and they just said it’s a 1 year warranty, and there’s no option to extend. They recommend Kamado Joe for a longer warranty!

So here goes, after a lot of deliberation...

I bought the Aldi one for £353.94 delivered. Just 2-10 working days to wait now! Cheap enough that if it lasts it's 3 yr warranty, I'll be happy! Comes with some nice extras too that help with the whole experience.

In case it helps anyone looking these were my thoughts:

Reasons why I did not choose the KJ Jr:

I very nearly pulled the trigger on this one, just because it's a KJ, but at £100 more for a smaller grill it didn't make a lot of sense, especially being my first Kamado. I think I'd of regretted not going bigger for the budget.

Reasons why I did not choose the Akorn Jr:

I've seen people on here picking them up for $35-$100. At £250 in the UK without a heat deflector, it didn't make sense value wise, though I liked the idea of it being portable. Maybe someone can ship me one at the super cheap price! ;)

Reasons why I did not choose the Wild Goose:

Simply put, 1 year warrant put me off. If I'm spending nearly £600, I'd rather spend the extra on a KJ Classic and know in years to come, it'll be covered. And I didn't do that because I didn't want to spend that much being a first timer. Maybe next time!

I'm sure the Aldi one will be great looking at reviews, let's cook!

Great stuff - the deliberation and choosing is half the fun!

but... the other half is the using! So what is your first cook going to be???

I'm Glad you have found the kamado that the best fit for your needs. If I hadn't bought the Pitt Boss before the Aldi kamado came out I would have bought it as well. 

The Aldi Kamado is a 16" Medium Kamado from La Hacienda, they are good quality but the main problem with these is the size means nothing standard fits and you can't get spares, e.g. grates, deflectors etc.

The wild Goose is an exact copy of the KJ classic, c/w/ divide & conquer. It's built in the same factory as KJ, same ceramics,  cart, D&Q etc. Over £300.00 cheaper, everything KJ is compatible, including joetisserie.

I'm now pulling the trigger on a WG after cancelling a Aldi order.

On 5/4/2019 at 8:36 PM, Berty said:

The Aldi Kamado is a 16" Medium Kamado from La Hacienda, they are good quality but the main problem with these is the size means nothing standard fits and you can't get spares, e.g. grates, deflectors etc.

The wild Goose is an exact copy of the KJ classic, c/w/ divide & conquer. It's built in the same factory as KJ, same ceramics,  cart, D&Q etc. Over £300.00 cheaper, everything KJ is compatible, including joetisserie.

I'm now pulling the trigger on a WG after cancelling a Aldi order.

Yeah I did think that to be honest. It was just the 1 year warranty that put me off a little, perhaps I shouldn’t have worried too much about it (I’m quite clumsy, mix that with ceramic and something is going to break!), but was just thinking spending that much more I’d go the extra for the KJ and it’s warranty.

When do you get it? I’d be curious of your thoughts! You have me re-thinking. 

@Berty look forward to it! My Aldi one has been dispatched just now, no delivery times yet though. Hoping I don’t come to regret not going WG!