• Similar Content

• By Smokingdadbbq
      This was unexpected, on Saturday  a grocery store had Tomahawks in for $16/lbs vs 28 at my local butcher so I thought I would give them a try. 

I used the Jess Pryles dry brine method (link) and left them uncovered in the fridge for three days flipping and drying once a day before cooking last night when I seasoned them with hardcore carnivores black rub

set the egg up for a reverse sear and eventually sliced into pure magic. Easily top 3 ever which was unexpected given their grocery store pedigree 

• By DaveBevan
      Hi,

Has anyone tried cooking a tomahawk steak in the joe jr.  Cooking area of 13" enough for the steak and the bone?  

if it's not an option ... then my next step is to move up to a classic.

If yes - please give me your thoughts on how you approached it.

Thanks,
    • By DerHusker
      So one of my local markets had Rib Roasts on sale. I decided pick one up and cut some Ribeye Steaks off it.

I unwrapped it and cut the twine holding on the bones

and removed them.

I cut 3 2” steaks and the end piece ended up at approximately 1.5”. (I chose the second one from the right to cook)

I seasoned it with some Primo Chicago Stockyard Dry Rub. I wrapped this in plastic wrap and let it rest for 4 hours.

I had made a fire using some almond wood in our fire pit. After it was nice and hot I placed the steak over the flames.

After approximately 1.5 minutes I flipped it.

After another 1.5 minutes I moved over to the other side of the grill an let it come up to an IT of 130 degrees. I then brought it inside and let it rest on the counter for 8 minutes.

I then sliced it in half.

I then sliced it into approximately 3/8” slices and plated it up with some asparagus, a baked potato and a Stone Coffee Milk Stout.

It was delicious.

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      To celebrate my new patio cabinets we invited some friends over so I thawed out a 2 1/2" ribeye steak I had in the freezer.

I unwrapped it and seasoned with Primo Chicago Stockyard steak seasoning.

I wrapped it up and let it take a 6 hour get happy rest. I now prepped some heirloom carrots

and sliced them up so they were ready to steam right before we eat.

Also washed and prepped some small potatoes so they were ready. Around 45 minutes before our guests arrived I started up the kettle. I tried my new Vortex out for this cook.

Around 30 minutes before our guests arrived I put on the potatoes and the steak.

It rode right about 330 degrees for the next hour.

My friend had brought a Belgian Ale with him so we drank a glass of that while the meat and potatoes were cooking. Here it is once the meat alarm went off at 113 degree I.T.

I remove everything and tented the steak with foil. We then cooked up some shrimp marinated in lemon juice and garlic that our friends had brought.

I then opened open the vents and let the Vortex go nuclear.

Once I thought it was like the sun I put the steak on for 60 seconds.

Flipped it and let it cook another 60 seconds.

I brought this in the house and let it rest for 10 minutes. I then cut the rib bone off

and sliced it up into approximately 1/2" slices.

I now placed the slices onto a wooden cutting board for serving and squeezed some blue cheese and herb compound butter on the top.

I took this out to the table and we all served up a plate with the lemon garlic shrimp, baked potato and the heirloom carrots.

So good!

Thanks for looking.

• By shorty_m
      2 Kroger ribeye sous vide 128 / 2 hours then seared off on Lil red akorn at 500 for 6min/side, grilled asparagus, open baked potatoes, slaw/salad, rolls, fruit salad, and sweet tea! Good eating!