daninpd

New Orleans Barbecue Shrimp

When you visit New Orleans and see "Barbecue Shrimp" on the menu, don't expect something coming from a guy with a Weber in back of the restaurant.  BBQ shrimp there is cooked hot and fast, heavy (really heavy) on the black pepper and butter.   Ideally it's cooked with really large head-on shrimp, in my case I had to use frozen "Super Colossal" E Z Peel.  I used Ralph Brennan's recipe:  https://louisiana.kitchenandculture.com/recipes/ralph-brennans-barbecue-shrimp  except where he calls for water I used white wine.  Cooked in my Stok charcoal grill in cast iron.  Did some Mexican Street Corn on the Joe.  Slathered two ears with mayo and crema, sprinkled on some chile powder and lime zest and grilled on the Joe cranking along at 450.  When I took the corn off I sprinkled it heavily with Cotija cheese and squeezes of lime juice.  Had some toasted french bread to sop up the sauce from the BBQ Shrimp.  I believe that's called scarpetta in Italian.

DMP_1840.JPG

DMP_1841.JPG

DMP_1843.JPG

DMP_1844.JPG

DMP_1845.JPG

DMP_1849.JPG

BBQ Shrimp.JPG

DMP_1852.JPG