Vision heat deflector

Gill

Looking for a heat deflector to replace my vision lava stone. The lava stone never seems to last long and was wondering if there was something out there that would work better. Please let me know if you have found something better.

How long did your lava stone last? Ive only owned my Vision for a month or so and I have the lava stone. Probably should have researched that before getting it as it appears others having issues. So far its been fine.

Regarding other options, through perusing this page I have seen guys get the Woo Ring and other ceramic products from the Ceramic Store with good results. I was actually considering getting the Adjustable Rig and Spider Combo with the 2 half moon ceramic stones. Ive read folks have liked that.

On 4/30/2019 at 1:36 PM, Gill said:

Looking for a heat deflector to replace my vision lava stone. The lava stone never seems to last long and was wondering if there was something out there that would work better. Please let me know if you have found something better.

Kiln shelves work well, and are available in various sizes, full rounds and half rounds. 

https://www.euclids.com/index.php?cat_id=152

• 2 months later...
  •  

I went with the pizza stone (same thing happened to me it cracked ) Then I tried a piece of steel (it was solid not porous and did start to rust I ground away the rust and continued to use that for a while) Then I went and got myself a 16" cast iron frying pan and that has worked great. Herman   

160272-218437.jpg

I had my lava stone for about a year or so before it cracked and then eventually broke in half. I opted for the cast iron griddle from Academy sports. It's not expensive and because it's cast iron, dang near indestructible. the wings fit nicely onto the edge of the fire box or some here have cut the wings off so it will sit in the lava stone's cradle. 

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-14-in-preseasoned-round-griddle?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgbX7zqDk4wIVlpOzCh1dywONEAQYAiABEgItl_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#repChildCatid=27890

For $15 it was worth a try anyway.. 

I learned to kamado cook on a Vision Pro C with a Lava Stone. I cook on a Large BGE now, but my lava stone is still in tact. However, other than using it as a deflector, I much prefer a good thick (5/8")  ceramic / cordierite Pizza stone because of the way it works for both bread and pizza crusts. If it were me, I would get a couple of those. I have one by CGS, two made by BGE, and one made my a company called KitChef. All of them are quite durable and work great. 

On 8/2/2019 at 8:08 AM, GS1397 said:

I had my lava stone for about a year or so before it cracked and then eventually broke in half. I opted for the cast iron griddle from Academy sports. It's not expensive and because it's cast iron, dang near indestructible. the wings fit nicely onto the edge of the fire box or some here have cut the wings off so it will sit in the lava stone's cradle. 

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-14-in-preseasoned-round-griddle?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgbX7zqDk4wIVlpOzCh1dywONEAQYAiABEgItl_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#repChildCatid=27890

For $15 it was worth a try anyway.. 

Are you able to measure yours from the ends of the handles? I have an off brand Kamado that the firebox inner diameter is 16.5" and would like a cast iron skillet where the handles would be able to rest on the side of the firebox, so maybe about 17" should be ok. Thank you