John Setzler

Cinder Grill First Looks

This company sent me their product to play with.... It's called a Cinder or a Cinder Grill..

https://www.cindergrill.com/

20190423_165801.jpg

20190423_165830.jpg

20190423_165836.jpg

It's a counter top grill similar to your typical George Foreman configuration with a few very important distinctions.   This is a precision temperature control grill.  When you are considering something like steaks or other meats, this device is capable of cooking it like a sous vide cook.  

I have played with this thing for a few days and decided to shoot a video with it today (that I will publish later.)  I had a beautiful prime grade NY strip steak so I decided to give it a whirl on the Cinder...

IMG_20190430_144941_159.jpg

I seasoned the steak with my Man Cave Meals AP Mojo seasoning and set the Cinder to cook at 130°F.  About 70 minutes later, the Cinder told me the steak was cooked.  I removed it from the grill, wiped down the grill plates and turned the grill up to searing temps.  It took the grill about 5 minutes or less to reach 450°F searing temps on the plates.  I patted the steak dry, rubbed on a little melted ghee and put it back on the Cinder for about 60 seconds....

20190430_150949.jpg

20190430_151103.jpg

The sear quality was excellent and I had a perfect edge to edge medium rare cook on this steak. 

Impressive :)

Another cool thing about this device is that when you reach your desired meat temp, it will hold it there until you tell it what to do next.  You don't have to act immediately.  

20190423_165819.jpg

2 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Way Cool, John, excellent video and a nifty little cooker. Do you know the price point? 

Just followed the link to their website looks like a great cooker and very clever how it works but not for me at that price point unfortunately. 

Screenshot_20190503-201350.thumb.jpg.77cf9165c24c6c688fbc63990bef3a7c.jpg

Yea.. it ain't cheap.  "Worth it" or value in general on any accessory like this is up to the individual.  I have taken a different approach to my 'reviews' on these products for that very reason.  I am trying NOT to make recommendations.  I am just trying to do a few things:

1. Show the product and it's abilities

2. Say whether or not I like it.  

When I get approached by people who have products that I don't think I'd like, I decline the offers.  This is one reason you don't see me do unfavorable reviews very often, if at all.  I am not gonna take a product for demo/review if I don't think it has potential before I get it.  

John, do you think that cooking steaks over charcoal or by utilizing smoke wood imparts additional flavor(s)?

If so, do you miss the flavor(s) when cooking on the Cinder?

51 minutes ago, pmillen said:

John, do you think that cooking steaks over charcoal or by utilizing smoke wood imparts additional flavor(s)?

If so, do you miss the flavor(s) when cooking on the Cinder?

Of course it does.  Smoke and wood or charcoal fires absolutely do impart flavors that you don't get any other way.

Do I miss it?  

That's a loaded question.  Since my preference for a steak is flat surface searing on a grill, yes.  I miss that.  The Cinder would not be MY preference for cooking a steak.  

The problem here with ME being an advocate of something like the cinder is that MY typical audience is a bunch of grillers who would laugh at something like this.  "Our" demographic is not the target audience of this product.  This product was given to me to test and give the manufacturer feedback more than for me to promote it.  I'm just sharing my honest thoughts on it.  I have never had an indoor prepared steak that was any better than the one I cooked on this device.  I have eaten at high end steak stops plenty of times.  The success or failure of a great steak is in the quality of the meat, the seasoning and the cooking technique.  Whether that technique uses smoke or not is just somewhat arbitrary to the end result :)  

Great review John. I could swear it's been in the works for a couple years and we talked about this one. Or it might have been a certain chef friend I have. You are both great company for talking shop!

15 hours ago, John Setzler said:

The problem here with ME being an advocate of something like the cinder is that MY typical audience is a bunch of grillers who would laugh at something like this.  "Our" demographic is not the target audience of this product. 

I always evaluate things by their appropriateness for me and the Cinder doesn't fit.  But you're right, I'm not a part of the target population.  I didn't think about that.

19 minutes ago, pmillen said:

I always evaluate things by their appropriateness for me and the Cinder doesn't fit.  But you're right, I'm not a part of the target population.  I didn't think about that.

I see a lot of potential in this besides stuff like steaks....

20190425_Egg.jpg

Here's an absolutely perfect sunny side up egg done in 5 minutes with the plate temp set at 300f....

What is the non-stick coating?  Is it Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) sold as Syncolon by Synco Chemical Corporation or Teflon by Chemours, a DuPont spin-off created, in my opinion, to avoid involving DuPont in Teflon liability lawsuits?

51 minutes ago, pmillen said:

What is the non-stick coating?  Is it Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) sold as Syncolon by Synco Chemical Corporation or Teflon by Chemours, a DuPont spin-off created, in my opinion, to avoid involving DuPont in Teflon liability lawsuits?

I have no idea.

From their site:

"Cinder's anodized ceramic enamel is impermeable, creating an ideal cooking surface that does not react with food or absorb odors. The glass-like finish promotes caramelization, enhances durability and eliminates cleanup."

6 hours ago, John Setzler said:

"Cinder's anodized ceramic enamel is impermeable, creating an ideal cooking surface that does not react with food or absorb odors. The glass-like finish promotes caramelization, enhances durability and eliminates cleanup."

Variations on ceramic are the best for durability, non-stick and health reasons.  The Cinder appears to be well thought-out.