John Setzler

Cinder Grill First Looks

I have considered getting a “smart grill.” I have looked at the Tfal Optigrill GC722D53,  Cuisinart GR-150 Griddler Deluxe and Breville BGR820XL. Most tout that have some sort of thickness detection, specific food type program and “precise” temperature control. 

I have been following the Cinder from its crowd funding launch, through the bankruptcy and being bought by Desora. There isn’t a lot of reviews out there for the Cinder and most were back during alpha/beta stage as best I can surmise. 

It sounds like a big thumbs up for steak given you said it was as good as any indoor steak you have had... what else have you tried chicken, burgers, bacon, fish? You mentioned pork chops on your video, how they came out?

The price just went up 100$ from 429 to 529. Of course there have been previous deals for 43$ off(10%) at retail launch April 1st-2nd and fir 50$ dollars of butcherbox.com meat April 10-13th. So right now buying equals paying extra 143-150$.

17 hours ago, Deuce said:

The price just went up 100$ from 429 to 529. Of course there have been previous deals for 43$ off(10%) at retail launch April 1st-2nd and fir 50$ dollars of butcherbox.com meat April 10-13th. So right now buying equals paying extra 143-150$.

Ah, that price is definitely going in the wrong direction for me - I'm actually really interested in one of these, but I told myself I would wait until the price dropped $100 or so before I would do it.  $529 is too much for me to justify, especially since I already have a Breville Smart Grill that does a great job already when I want to cook a steak indoors (although it doesn't work anything like the Cinder and is "Smart" only in name).

2 hours ago, Scrap said:

Ah, that price is definitely going in the wrong direction for me - I'm actually really interested in one of these, but I told myself I would wait until the price dropped $100 or so before I would do it.  $529 is too much for me to justify, especially since I already have a Breville Smart Grill that does a great job already when I want to cook a steak indoors (although it doesn't work anything like the Cinder and is "Smart" only in name).

Same here Scrap, pretty interested but the price going up isn’t favorable.

I am pretty cautious with Kickstarter/Indiegogo as just like happened with the Cinder because of bankruptcy it can end up becoming vaporware. Which then later Desora bought them and filled the orders. I have read reviews the app side was still getting worked out (like anywhere near accurate cook time predictions and disconnects.) Those may have been worked out or not as it hasn’t had an update in over a year (iOS). That is the other thing you see often is that a piece of tech that gets a lot if it’s added features from an app that no longer has app support.

So I was just waiting to buy till the product/company behind it got what seemed somewhat stable. 

Also as I asked John (but he may not have spotted the post) I am wondering if it is just a one trick steak pony as that is mostly what gets reviewed. I am also curious how is fares with burgers, chicken etc.