Nut

Onlyfire Ash Basket

I've only recently started browsing the forums as the proud new owner of the 2019 Costco special.   I see a lot of raving about the Kick Ash Basket but I don't see the model for our grill (KAB-VB-SS) sold on Amazon.  Sure I can get it from the manufacturer's website direct but 79.99 plus 10 bucks shipping is pretty steep and while I'm not completely opposed to getting the KAB, Amazon has great customer service and they are a well known trustworthy e-commerce site.   I'm digging around the Amazon offerings and I see the Onlyfire Ash Basket. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C9ZGVVZ

Has anyone bought this and tried it out on their Pit Boss K24 or similar kamado?  I'm curious to know how well it actually fits in comparison to the KAB. 

I was interested in the Onlyfire last year too, but it wasn't available to buy when I ordered my Kickash. It's hard to tell from the pictures but I don't think the Onlyfire is as robust as the KA, but that's just speculation. What I can tell you is the Kickash is awesome and I would recommend the gift pack with the towel and the gratelifter. That pushed me to $100 and I got free shipping.  Didn't care about the towel and the coozie so much but that lifter is awesome if you ever have to pull a hot grate out, and it hangs nicely on the edge of the table while you do whatever in the grill.  I have also read on other threads the KA people will make it right if something is wrong with any of their products.

Side note, I did buy an Onlyfire grate for my Akorn and it was a very well made grate.

Edited by Red River Smoke

On 4/30/2019 at 9:13 PM, KamadoNut said:

I've only recently started browsing the forums as the proud new owner of the 2019 Costco special.   I see a lot of raving about the Kick Ash Basket but I don't see the model for our grill (KAB-VB-SS) sold on Amazon.  Sure I can get it from the manufacturer's website direct but 79.99 plus 10 bucks shipping is pretty steep and while I'm not completely opposed to getting the KAB, Amazon has great customer service and they are a well known trustworthy e-commerce site.   I'm digging around the Amazon offerings and I see the Onlyfire Ash Basket. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C9ZGVVZ

Has anyone bought this and tried it out on their Pit Boss K24 or similar kamado?  I'm curious to know how well it actually fits in comparison to the KAB. 

Did you end up picking this up?  I've been thinking about giving it a shot too.  Most of the reviews say the stainless steel is a little thinner on the Onlyfire basket, but it has good welds and appears to be good quality.  

Actually I went with the KAB and I am a little disappointed.  The gap between the wall of the basket and the inner wall of my firebox is large enough that charcoal tends to fall down and build up there. I was expecting that the top ring of the KAB would be big enough that it would fit snug to the wall of my firebox, thereby suspending the basket across the bottom of the firebox.  Instead it seems that the bottom of the basket sits on the firebox which creates that gap.  The other thing I realize about the KAB is that I can't really use it to shake off the ash when the firebox is mostly full, it is just too small to hold that much charcoal.  If I paid 30-40 bucks for the KAB I wouldn't mind this but at 90 dollars I feel like I paid the premium for a custom fit solution which doesn't fit all too well. 

I think because it's meant to fit in several different Kamados it's not a perfect fit, but I can hold 8 lbs of lump in mine easily, which will burn for as long as I need it to, at least 12 hours low and slow.  If I'm doing shorter cooks like burgers or steak I probably only fill it  3/4 full. Sometimes I recycle the lumps that fall through the basket and burn them again with fresh lump if I think they are large enough. Maybe someone makes a perfect fitting basket but I don't think you'd want it too tight either, and run the risk of stressing the fire box.  

I bought the Onlyfire charcoal basket for my Kamado Joe Big Joe.  I bought it based on price—it was the least costly.  It fits fine and works fine.  I don't know how it compares to other products because it's the only one I've used.

Here’s mine in my 24” pitboss 

there is about 1.5” gap around the basket to firebox. 

Nicely put together and a great price 

CDAA3910-B6C9-4950-97A0-50591763F8D9.jpeg