Well...I've officially come over to the the dark side. I submitted an order for my first pellet grill yesterday, a RecTec Bull RT-700 (including large shelf, folding front shelf, GrillGrates, and cover). I have thoroughly enjoyed my Kamado Joe, but I found myself not grilling as much as I would have liked due to the time involved in dealing with the kamado especially on weeknights. Not that its too terribly labor intensive, but with a busy job and 2 young children, I'm trying to streamline things as much as possible these days. I also wanted something my wife would want use and she was just never interested in messing with the kamado.

I'm pretty excited for it to arrive. It's supposed to ship out today or tomorrow. Shipping from Atlanta to Portsmouth, Virginia shouldn't take too long but I doubt it will be here before the weekend (bummer). I need to order some pellets so that I will be ready once it arrives. Any recommendations on a good pellet mix for beginners? I looked at the cookinpellets.com Perfect Mix that RecTec recommends on their site. That seems to be a good choice, but I really don't know. 

Any other things I need to know or buy in advance of its arrival?

Also...my Kamado Joe classic will be up for sale once the Bull arrives. I thought about keeping it, but we just put in a really nice stone patio and I don't want to take up too much real estate with a grill that doesn't get much use. 

Thanks in advance for any advice that you all can provide!

MEB

Congrats on your new grill. I understand your thoughts and space limitations and possibility of selling your kamado. I would wait a bit too see if you like the pellet life. I've kept my kamado's even though I have a pellet grill.

Have you been over to "Get Your Grill On" on Virginia Beach Blvd? Its just west of Restaurant Depot next to Cap City. Last time I was in their he had a large selection of pellets. There is also a place in P-town that sells traegers so I am sure they sell their pellets.

Thanks! Good call on waiting to make sure I like the pellet. I guess I can always roll the KJ into the garage and out of the way. 

I actually just learned about Get Your Grill On when trying to decide which pellet cooker to purchase. They are a Yoder dealer, so I went over there to see one in person.  The Yoders are definitely nice, but the recent price hike and 12 week lead time associated with the  introduction of the upgraded YS640 was a deal breaker for me. I didn't want to potentially miss the entire summer.  

I will have to go back and check out their pellet selection this week. They also had a ton of rubs that I need to look through. I will also check the Traeger dealer in P-Town. 

I have no regrets going towards the pellet grill.  I still have a Kamado and I use it when I feel like charcoal, however, I tend to use my pellet grill 95% of the time. 

You will love it!!

I also added a pellet grill last Dec. and have no regrets. I use mine more then my BJ but I still use my BJ a lot, Some things just come out better on the BJ, especially anything that needs searing. I would also recommend waiting to sell you KJ until you have had you Bull for a while. You may find that you would like to keep both of them, like a lot of us. I think the combination of a good pellet grill and a KJ is the perfect setup for cooking about anything you could want.

A good pellet pooper is great to have!

My three  favorites are the Lang offset,KJ and the Mak 2 Star pellet pooper.

There's really not much you cant cook on one of the three.

Oh.......dont get rid of the Kamado. You'll regret it one day.

I've been BBQing for over thirty years,three or four of those years competitively and the Kamado is one of the most impressive rigs I've ever cooked on.

It'll always have a place in my arsenal!!! 

If it were me, I'd make sure I love the pellet grill first.  After kamadoing I waited a while before getting rid of my gasser.  I got a Blackstone pizza oven, thinking it'd replace my KK for making pizza.... No way no how, so I got rid of that.  Also got rid of my Akorn after having it with my KK thinking I'd use it to cook 2 different Temps at the same time..... And I fired it up for that reason once in a year so I got rid of that.  I am all for decluttering but you need to make sure you like the other product first. 

Good advice from shuley. I would be very disappointed if I had sold my Akorns as soon as I had my new pellet grill...

When we lost power a few weeks ago, I stopped at the grocery on the way home and picked of some filet, and grilled up a full meal on the Akorn :-)

I'm having temperature issues with my new Traeger. The grill thinks its at 450, but my calibrated probes say 350. And there are no vents to adjust that can convince it otherwise ;-) But thats a problem specific to this grill.

Also I'm doing a lot more maintenance and cleaning on the traeger, and it is more expensive to run (although I've decided PitBoss pellets from Lowes are plenty good enough and I don't need to buy expensive pellets).

That said, it IS nice to come home, push a button, and go in to prep dinner while the grill does its thing.

12 hours ago, O C said:

Good advice from shuley. I would be very disappointed if I had sold my Akorns as soon as I had my new pellet grill...

When we lost power a few weeks ago, I stopped at the grocery on the way home and picked of some filet, and grilled up a full meal on the Akorn :-)

I'm having temperature issues with my new Traeger. The grill thinks its at 450, but my calibrated probes say 350. And there are no vents to adjust that can convince it otherwise ;-) But thats a problem specific to this grill.

Also I'm doing a lot more maintenance and cleaning on the traeger, and it is more expensive to run (although I've decided PitBoss pellets from Lowes are plenty good enough and I don't need to buy expensive pellets).

That said, it IS nice to come home, push a button, and go in to prep dinner while the grill does its thing.

What model do you have? 

On 5/1/2019 at 4:54 PM, mabartle said:

Well...I've officially come over to the the dark side. I submitted an order for my first pellet grill yesterday, a RecTec Bull RT-700 (including large shelf, folding front shelf, GrillGrates, and cover). I have thoroughly enjoyed my Kamado Joe, but I found myself not grilling as much as I would have liked due to the time involved in dealing with the kamado especially on weeknights. Not that its too terribly labor intensive, but with a busy job and 2 young children, I'm trying to streamline things as much as possible these days. I also wanted something my wife would want use and she was just never interested in messing with the kamado.

I'm pretty excited for it to arrive. It's supposed to ship out today or tomorrow. Shipping from Atlanta to Portsmouth, Virginia shouldn't take too long but I doubt it will be here before the weekend (bummer). I need to order some pellets so that I will be ready once it arrives. Any recommendations on a good pellet mix for beginners? I looked at the cookinpellets.com Perfect Mix that RecTec recommends on their site. That seems to be a good choice, but I really don't know. 

Any other things I need to know or buy in advance of its arrival?

Also...my Kamado Joe classic will be up for sale once the Bull arrives. I thought about keeping it, but we just put in a really nice stone patio and I don't want to take up too much real estate with a grill that doesn't get much use. 

Thanks in advance for any advice that you all can provide!

MEB

Congrats your going to love the bull i just got the bfg and i got both pellet mixes the perfect mix and the ultimate blend to me they both are good pellets others have recommended lunberjack or pit boss competition blend your going to have to experiment on what you like but the REC TECS are built like tanks and i am very impressed on how they keep temps dead on since i have been using mine

also if you have any questions at all about anything the RECTEC crew is a phone call away the customer service is unreal

happy smoking

9 hours ago, bosco said:

What model do you have? 

The new PRO575. There are other users reporting similar issues. The grill reads much higher than actual temp ( probe below was calibrated at 0 and 212). For most of what I cook its not a big problem I just compensate for the desired actual temp. If what I need is 250, 325, 350, no problem. But, since the grill thinks its maxed out I can't actually grill at 450.

I do like the grill.  It is stable and consistent, just inaccurate. Works like a charm for 350 or less. I don't use the pre-programmed cooks, I've heard thats a problem because you simply aren't cooking at the temp the grill thinks. Apparently Traeger is still trying to figure out if the the RTD probe, controller or will a software fix work.

Aside from that, build quality, size, wifi etc. are great.

TraegerPro575_TempDifference.thumb.jpg.201064ec81719a078c9775020fa9504a.jpg

4 hours ago, O C said:

The new PRO575. There are other users reporting similar issues. The grill reads much higher than actual temp ( probe below was calibrated at 0 and 212). For most of what I cook its not a big problem I just compensate for the desired actual temp. If what I need is 250, 325, 350, no problem. But, since the grill thinks its maxed out I can't actually grill at 450.

I do like the grill.  It is stable and consistent, just inaccurate. Works like a charm for 350 or less. I don't use the pre-programmed cooks, I've heard thats a problem because you simply aren't cooking at the temp the grill thinks. Apparently Traeger is still trying to figure out if the the RTD probe, controller or will a software fix work.

Aside from that, build quality, size, wifi etc. are great.

TraegerPro575_TempDifference.thumb.jpg.201064ec81719a078c9775020fa9504a.jpg

I saw an excellent work around for this grill.  Take a piece of foil approx 1” wide and wrap it around the thermostat probe a few times.  Imagine making the probe extend 1” further into the grill this way.  

Milk try and find the post to borrow the photo.  Buddy said it was an immediate and simple fix for now 

4 hours ago, O C said:

I'll give that a try. I kinda tried it the other day but your instructions are better.

Imagine cutting one inch off of a straw and sliding over the probe.  I can’t seem to find the photo but it looked easy and guaranteed solve the guy said