BigJoeOC

Anyone use the Ikamand to start a fire?

I always build my fire and let the Big Joe stabilize at my target temperature before I let the iKamand take over. Anyone put in a fire cube get the coal hot then let the iKamand take over from there? I never do this because I'm afraid of overshooting my target temperature. Sure would be nice to light a starter cube then let the iKamand take control from there.

No experience with the iKamand, but the FlameBoss always overshoots if added before the grill is nearly at temp.  Not a huge deal as it normally corrects the temperature, but its less of a hassle to turn it on once the grill is close to temp.

I use my PartyQ blower from the moment I lite the starter ball, then I place the meat about 25 degrees below the target temp and then set the top vent.

On 5/2/2019 at 3:27 PM, BigJoeOC said:

I always build my fire and let the Big Joe stabilize at my target temperature before I let the iKamand take over. Anyone put in a fire cube get the coal hot then let the iKamand take over from there? I never do this because I'm afraid of overshooting my target temperature. Sure would be nice to light a starter cube then let the iKamand take control from there.

I light my starter cube and engage the ikamand immediately.  That works perfectly fine.  It may overshoot your target temp by 20 or 25 degrees but it will settle back down in a short time.  The ceramics do not get hot that quickly.  

13 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I light my starter cube and engage the ikamand immediately.  That works perfectly fine.  It may overshoot your target temp by 20 or 25 degrees but it will settle back down in a short time.  The ceramics do not get hot that quickly.  

John, do you put wood chunks in at the start when using this method with the iKamand?  When using the Flame Boss it seems to nuke all my wood chunks during the heating process before I have put any meat on.  For this reason I have gone to adding the controller, meat and wood all at the same time.  It works for me, but is not as hassle free.

6 hours ago, HawaiiJoe said:

John, do you put wood chunks in at the start when using this method with the iKamand?  When using the Flame Boss it seems to nuke all my wood chunks during the heating process before I have put any meat on.  For this reason I have gone to adding the controller, meat and wood all at the same time.  It works for me, but is not as hassle free.

I do put my wood chunks on when I light the fire.  I usually dont have a wood chunk set direclty over where I lit the fire so it doesn't get burned up quickly.

Hey! My controller takes over when I lit the starter cube and it does not overshoot more than 2 or 3 degrees :)

I put charcoal, wood, meat, probes in all together and set target temp and leave it there until it's done. it always stays within 2 or 3 degrees. All PID controllers will overshoot, yea that goes to all the rest of controllers.

I've used my CyberQ Cloud 4 times now with a set temp of 250*. I put my full setup (deflectors/grates/probe/controller) when I first light the fire. Top vent and fan damper wide open. When it gets to 150*-175* I shut the top vent to 1/4, fan damper to 1/2. It over shoots by 25* or less but who cares. It settles back out over the next 30-60 minutes and all is good. 

Don't sweat the small stuff..... 

5 minutes ago, ckreef said:

I've used my CyberQ Cloud 4 times now with a set temp of 250*. I put my full setup (deflectors/grates/probe/controller) when I first light the fire. Top vent and fan damper wide open. When it gets to 150*-175* I shut the top vent to 1/4, fan damper to 1/2. It over shoots by 25* or less but who cares. It settles back out over the next 30-60 minutes and all is good. 

Don't sweat the small stuff..... 

that sounds just like the pitmasterIQ I had. It keeps temp good but I had to come back and check on it after 30 min and adjust the fan damper. I tear it apart (I do that to all my toys) and found it does use a variable speed fan. (partyQ does not so it sucks :P) I thought why the heck I have to use a damper if the fan is already variable speed? That leads to my motivation to re-write the controller program from scratch to control fan speed based on thermodynamic basics. 

We had a discussion about this not long ago. I agree 20~30 degrees variation don't make a noticeable taste difference. but that also means the controller will not control a weber kettle, or a weber go-anywhere, or an akorn jr or a pk grill that well...all the PID controller is tuned to control a large ceramic kamado so you may see even larger temperature swing on a smaller grill. Many of us own multiple grills and why not use one controller to control them all within 3 degrees of swing? It can be done, but yea no reason to do it if one company has dominated the controller game for so long (BBQ guru) or corporate with well established distribution network (Masterbuild who owns KJ). But I'm a maker, so my motivation is different - My sh*t has to be perfect. 

It's like vacuums, all vacuums vac but then there is Dyson. :roll: