I have lately been researching about temperature controllers for Kamados. Several alternatives are out there and each of them have their fan base. A lot of the information available is based on feeling and intuition, which is great. However, I miss a repository of information based on factual data of the controller's performance provided by users. This is the intention of this thread and hopefully, it will serve to educate the audience, firstly on how to make the choice when buying a temperature controller and secondly how to best use them.
I have put together a set of questions for the people to answer that will help fellow BBQers immersed into the temperature controllers world.
Thank you all in advance for supporting this research project!
1. What Kamado cooker you are using?
2. What temperature controller do you have?
3. What are your vent and fan settings on your Kamado? (Pictures when available)
4. Where do you place your ambient probe for temperature control? (Pictures when available)
5. At what point on your cook you let the controller to take over
6. Please share the graph from your temperature control with eventual fan output
7. What do you love about your controller?
8. What would you improve about your controller?
9. Anything else you want to share
10. And last but not least, share pictures of your cook
Struggling with this one... I love using my Kamado for low & slow cooks however with two young kids I struggle to find the time. I’m trying to determine the best approach for a “set it & forget it” option. I am looking to either purchase a temp controller such as an iKamand that I will have to figure out how to rig to my old school Kamado Co. or just bite the bullet and purchase a pellet smoker. The way I see it, one of these controller’s is going to run me $250. Maybe I’m better off dropping another few hundred and getting a pellet set up considering the application will be primarily for low & slow smoking. Any suggestions on the preferred option? If you’re leaning towards the pellet smoker option, any recommendations? My top 3 based solely on internet research is Rec Tec, Traeger and Grilla. Thanks for your feedback! -J
Hey gang, I recently received my iKamand, and it works great. I’m not able to find anyone selling extra probes for the unit for slot 2 and 3. Has anyone had any luck?
Also, while I’m on the topic of iKamand, has anyone had success getting a DC to USB setup to work, so a cord doesn’t have to be drug across the patio? The idea would be to use it with a usb battery back or something similar.
I left some pics to get your mouths watering while I wait for a response.