Latest BGE Vent / Rain Cap

keeperovdeflame

Did I need this, of course not, I already have a Smokeware that works fine. However, I am a sucker for the old school look. This is a slide open vent without the daisy wheel center. I will open to about  95% full and has a stop to keep it from opening all the way. When sliding there is enough friction to keep the lid where you want it when you open the dome. The rain cap assembly fits into a hole on the side of the cap as you can see in the pictures, so you can keep it on all the time or take it off when it's not raining. In true BGE style, the cap was expensive and individually priced,  $ 50 something for the cap and $ 20 something for the rain cap. I know i'mmmmmmm a sucker for new stuff, but I thought it looked cool, and there is a silicon tab on the vent slider so you don't burn your fingers:)

IMG_0445.thumb.jpeg.1cf485958ab896422c44be5370155316.jpeg

IMG_0446.thumb.jpeg.258b14fd7c3c6419a66ab6365131acb2.jpeg

IMG_0447.thumb.jpeg.66d1404d789590398668be3d480e0eb7.jpeg

1 hour ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

Nice looking.   Wish I could find a KJ daisy wheel for my BJ, think they're better lookin than the tower.  

They may look better but daisy wheels are about the worst design ever - IMO.

6 minutes ago, ckreef said:

They may look better but daisy wheels are about the worst design ever - IMO.

Several years ago I would have disputed your assertions, but in fact you are correct. 

6 minutes ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

Got one on my Jr and it's prone to gunking up but it's a piece of cake to regulate.   

Don't get me wrong they work great at regulating temperature. But......... When new....... They don't hold their setting (when opening the dome), leaks, and would allow rain into the grill if caught in a thunderstorm. It's just the way they are designed. 

IMO a Smokeware Chimney Cap is way sexier and solves all the above mentioned problems. 

Au contraire Monsieur, my daisy wheel has been modified with a simple split washer to create pressure and doesn't budge when opening the lid, yet allows me to easily adjust settings.  The Smokeware like you said is sexy but I like the simplicity of the daisy wheel and my most precious KJ's are nestled in their own little BBQ Shack shelter.:good: