Show your BBQ area

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I see that the vast majority of these amazing grilling areas are pavers or cement floors.  My question is  should one be concerned about a charcoal Kamado on a raised attached wraparound wooden deck?  If our deck were to catch fire, it likely would burn down the house. Any thoughts??

31 minutes ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

If you're concerned about embers, you could get a bbq mat to put under it.  Put a little bit of sand in the mat then put yer cooker init.?? I had considered some fire safe zone like they have around wood stoves  but not sure. Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

I see that the vast majority of these amazing grilling areas are pavers or cement floors.  My question is  should one be concerned about a charcoal Kamado on a raised attached wraparound wooden deck?  If our deck were to catch fire, it likely would burn down the house. Any thoughts??

2 hours ago, Marty said:

How are you getting burning charcoal  on your deck ? my komado is used on my wooden deck I have never had any problem with the hot stuff escaping . Just be careful and keep a fire extinguisher handy . Herman  

3 hours ago, Herman Munster said:

How are you getting burning charcoal  on your deck ? my komado is used on my wooden deck I have never had any problem with the hot stuff escaping . Just be careful and keep a fire extinguisher handy . Herman  

I have always cooked on pavers. I do get sparking from time to time when lighting and at times when the charcoal is something that I have not tried. I do have a jacket with holes in the arm from lighting the kamado. I do agree that the likelihood is small. but sparks getting under the deck and lighting something is a concern. All it would take is one time. I have decided to assemble my grill gazebo next to the deck steps. I just could not sleep at night if doing an overnight nor leave when cooking. Silly I agree but as a kid we would hear of a fire cased from a wood stove.  I have read that at Christmas time there are more fires because of  candles and flammable trees. I have been present once when a coal jumped out from the bottom vent on to my pavers. I am careful but even with the odds in my favor, I just feel better on the ground. I regret posting this but thanks for the reply.

On 6/14/2020 at 8:34 PM, ckreef said:

I have 3 kamados, a Blackstone griddle, and an open fire Yakitori grill on my wood deck, covered porch. Kamados are the least of your worries. 

I would tend to agree however, I'd never advise a homeowner against caution because the stakes are so high. That said, my Kamados are absolutely the safest grills I have ever owned. Even moreso when the deflector plates are in position. Only in high, high winds is there an opportunity for sparks to fly out of this thing.

Its a work in progress for many reasons.

1st off new to the Kamado Joe (just delivered today.

We had planned to have a new patio poured and covered to extend our outdoor space.   But at the start of this pandemic...our home had other plans...new HVAC, new motherboard for once computer, and added a computer so the kids each have a space for school and play, a new alternator in one car and AC work in the other.  So the patio will have to wait.    So I improvised with a shovel, some paver sand and pavers and made a spot for my KJ Classic where I can set up our pop up canopy for longer cook’s when i want to sit in the shade some (plus the deck has some issues and will be replacing boards until we can get the patio done.   Worked well for the first cook and some delicious burgers.

D14C77BD-CC3B-4627-BCB6-14E937A8B711.jpeg

We added our first kamado option , an Akorn Jr, to the GASJOE 32 after visiting this site recently. We will probably have to replace the GASJOE with a Blaze if we can't find replacement parts that fit, so far no luck. Looking forward to some kamado style cooking and these pics are of the first fire. The addiction is real, my wife can't believe how much I've already spent on accessories, and I haven't even gotten the Temp control unit yet. I'm seriously considering the DIGIQ DX3. Are there any better options for less money? Thanks for this site and all your help. 

IMG_3499.JPG

IMG_3504.JPG

IMG_3500.JPG