Team PCBeach

Rusted ash pan - Classic II

Thanks all, KJ is taking care of it as a warranty.  All metal parts on the KJ are warrantied for 5 years.  I have a 5 year old Classic 1 that has not had the same issue so I am going to assume it was a manufacturing issue.

I have also had the issue of the paint coming off the control top.  KJ also going to replace that.  In my experience, KJ stands behind the product and I have never had an issue with a claim (went through 3 fire boxes on my classic 1). 

On 5/5/2019 at 1:55 PM, John Setzler said:

I love the ash pan design in the Kamado Joe.  It works great and I have had zero issues with it.  @pmillen - what do you find ineffective with it?  

Me too!  It cant get any simpler than this. I wouldn't be without the ash pan.  If I had to vacuum the cooker out after every cook I can say with certainty that  I would not be using it much. 

11 minutes ago, glenn3 said:

Me too!  It cant get any simpler than this. I wouldn't be without the ash pan.  If I had to vacuum the cooker out after every cook I can say with certainty that  I would not be using it much. 

I only get a vacuum out to mine whenever i take the firebox out for my semi annual cleaning

Wood ash combined with water (rain water especially) creates potassium hydroxide. 

Lye. Highly corrosive to many metals. Also used in soap making and drain cleaners.

if this collected in the bottom of the ash collector For any length of time I’m not surprised it corroded away.

59 minutes ago, Mccaf said:

Wood ash combined with water (rain water especially) creates potassium hydroxide. 

Lye. Highly corrosive to many metals. Also used in soap making and drain cleaners.

if this collected in the bottom of the ash collector For any length of time I’m not surprised it corroded away.

Akorn should've made a drain plug at the bottom of their ash tray. I always find water in it when I take it out for clean up.

On 5/6/2019 at 10:57 AM, pmillen said:

I don't think I wrote that very well.

Rewritten—Ash falls outside of the ash pan pictured above.  Ash accumulates and blocks re-insertion.  I may as well not have the ash pan if I'm required to vacuum out the ash that keeps me from easily re-inserting the ash pan.

I got rid of my ash pans as well.  The problems are worse in Canada where the trapped ash accumulates moisture and freezes during the winter months.

The ash drawers also warp over time, they don’t slide easy.  I made the decision up throw mine out in the trash and I vacuum out the ash now.

On 5/6/2019 at 1:50 PM, CentralTexBBQ said:

First call is always to KJ. I don't know that any of us are experts on their warranty. 

My first call would always be to the dealer.  I don't call Detroit when I have a question about my Ford.

If the dealer doesn't know, he can talk to KJ and be educated if another user has the same problem.

The costs associated with KJ staff who respond to product problems can be directly attributable to the specific products.  Those expensed cost should be recovered in the accounting period in which they're incurred and they should be recovered from the individual products' wholesale prices.  It seems to me that we'll drive the prices up if we continue to call KJ factory.

7 minutes ago, pmillen said:

My first call would always be to the dealer.  I don't call Detroit when I have a question about my Ford.

If the dealer doesn't know, he can talk to KJ and be educated if another user has the same problem.

The costs associated with KJ staff who respond to product problems can be directly attributable to the specific products.  Those expensed cost should be recovered in the accounting period in which they're incurred and they should be recovered from the individual products' wholesale prices.  It seems to me that we'll drive the prices up if we continue to call KJ factory.

Kamado Joe would rather you use their warranty claim form on their website so they can track their claims.

29 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Kamado Joe would rather you use their warranty claim form on their website so they can track their claims.

Are you suggesting that they couldn't track dealer-handled warranty claims?  Ford seems to.

If I were KJ I would want all end-user contacts to be made by the dealers.  I would want the same thing if I were a dealer.  By doing so as a dealer I could–

1. add value
  2. sell accessories
  3. sell consumables

In that way, maybe I could keep my customers coming back.

11 minutes ago, pmillen said:

Are you suggesting that they couldn't track dealer-handled warranty claims?  Ford seems to.

If I were KJ I would want all end-user contacts to be made by the dealers.  I would want the same thing if I were a dealer.  By doing so as a dealer I could–

1. add value
  2. sell accessories
  3. sell consumables

In that way, maybe I could keep my customers coming back.

I'm not telling you what they can or can't do.  I am just telling you what they recommend.  KJ wants you to come through them for warranty claims whenever possible.

On 5/10/2019 at 7:47 PM, John Setzler said:

I only get a vacuum out to mine whenever i take the firebox out for my semi annual cleaning

I scrape the cooking grates clean after each cook (when they're still hot).  When the pit cools and the embers are out, I give the charcoal basket a thorough shake.  The ash falls into the ash pan area (the ash pan and cast iron ash grate have been removed).  I vacuum the area and I'm good to go.  It isn't as difficult as washing my vehicles, which I do when thay get dirty, too.

We all have different views as to what's appropriate.

6 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

I'm not telling you what they can or can't do.  I am just telling you what they recommend.  KJ wants you to come through them for warranty claims whenever possible.

I didn't realize that you were speaking on KJ's behalf.  I thought that you were opining.

2 minutes ago, pmillen said:

I didn't realize that you were speaking on KJ's behalf.  I thought that you were opining.

Nope.. I can assure you that it's not just opinion.  I am not an employee of KJ but I am being paid by KJ for making video and working in their social media scene.