Team PCBeach

Rusted ash pan - Classic II

28 minutes ago, pmillen said:

Are you suggesting that they couldn't track dealer-handled warranty claims?  Ford seems to.

If I were KJ I would want all end-user contacts to be made by the dealers.  I would want the same thing if I were a dealer.  By doing so as a dealer I could–

1. add value
  2. sell accessories
  3. sell consumables

In that way, maybe I could keep my customers coming back.

One of the advantages of owning a KJ is dealing directly with KJ when you need warranty replacements. I've seen too many complaints from BGE owners over the years who have a dealer that is clueless about or just doesn't want to be bothered with dealing with warranty replacements.

With KJ, you deal directly with them and they send you the parts directly to you free of charge.

With BGE, assuming you have a dealer that will handle warranty replacements, the dealer will order the replacement part from their regional distributor and the part you need will be included with the dealers next order of BGE stuff. That could be weeks or months before you get the part. Top notch BGE dealers will keep a supply of many parts on hand and will be able to give you one the same day but those dealers are not a commonplace. BGE can send replacement parts directly to the customer but they will charge for shipping (which is probably a bit pricey if you are replacing the base of your XL).

2 hours ago, pmillen said:

My first call would always be to the dealer.  I don't call Detroit when I have a question about my Ford.

If the dealer doesn't know, he can talk to KJ and be educated if another user has the same problem.

The costs associated with KJ staff who respond to product problems can be directly attributable to the specific products.  Those expensed cost should be recovered in the accounting period in which they're incurred and they should be recovered from the individual products' wholesale prices.  It seems to me that we'll drive the prices up if we continue to call KJ factory.

With me it depends on whether I have received the product intact OR have been using it for a while. Specifically as it relates to KJ, the both the manual, if I remember correctly, and the website refers you to contact KJ regarding these kind of issues. I was referring to contacting KJ as opposed to asking people on this forum. Imo and in my practice, I consider that an unnecessary and unproduct step.

2 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Kamado Joe would rather you use their warranty claim form on their website so they can track their claims.

Yup, this is what I was referring to.

To me it doesn't really matter where the part comes from if KJ wants to handle the replacement of parts thats ok. I dealt with them twice once glaze problem and once with the top vent peeling, both times they were speedy and pleasant to deal with. Plus here with ACE and home depot selling them and lowes, calling them dealers is real stretch. They sell them but try to find any kind of parts or accessories there.

Anyone who wishes for more middle men wishes foe more headache and heartache.

its nice to deal direct.

How many times must I tell you babe,
How many bridges I've got to cross?
How many times must I explain myself
Before I can talk to the boss,
'Fore I can talk to the boss?

1 hour ago, prowe said:

Anyone who wishes for more middle men wishes foe more headache and heartache.

its nice to deal direct.

How many times must I tell you babe,
How many bridges I've got to cross?
How many times must I explain myself
Before I can talk to the boss,
'Fore I can talk to the boss?

I remember the first several months of owning KJ where you would actually call them and speak to -Meghan- I believe it was and often get out through to a warehouse manager. Those were the days. :-D

KJ is top notch when dealing with warranty issues.  Fill out the form on the website, send a picture of the issue and typically a replacement part lands on my door via FedEx within the week.  Never have had to send a receipt or proof of purchase.  It is a model for how companies should stand behind their product.