Scott Roberts

$8 Kitchen Knife Vs. $800 Kitchen Knife

I love these kind of things.

I've got a Ken Onion sharpener and literally did the same thing at home.  I picked up a crappy knife at Value Village and put a razor edge on it.  Cost me about $7 (used item store).

I've also got all my better knives (German steel) to compare against, and to be honest, I'll never spend more than $10 on a knife again.  The edge I've put on the $7 knife with steel of unknown origin lasts months with a little touch up now and then.

I'm no sushi chef, but for the average BBQ'r / home chef.... spending money on knives may be one of the most enjoyable, yet stupid thing.  I get so much enjoyment out of a beautiful edge on great steel, and it really cuts no better than the $7.

Of course, a lot of others pros, factors etc, but it's hard to justify in some ways for sure!

Especially for BBQ, I prefer the commercial knives with plastic NSF handles. They are usually $15-$35 depending on style and brand but can be sharpened just as sharp as my expensive knives yet they have much better grip in a greasy hand.  I have several from Mercer, Dexter, ICI, and they are all good. 

On 5/5/2019 at 6:31 PM, SmallBBQr said:

I love these kind of things.

I've got a Ken Onion sharpener and literally did the same thing at home.  I picked up a crappy knife at Value Village and put a razor edge on it.  Cost me about $7 (used item store).

I've also got all my better knives (German steel) to compare against, and to be honest, I'll never spend more than $10 on a knife again.  The edge I've put on the $7 knife with steel of unknown origin lasts months with a little touch up now and then.

I'm no sushi chef, but for the average BBQ'r / home chef.... spending money on knives may be one of the most enjoyable, yet stupid thing.  I get so much enjoyment out of a beautiful edge on great steel, and it really cuts no better than the $7.

Of course, a lot of others pros, factors etc, but it's hard to justify in some ways for sure!

I really like my Ken Onion work sharp system,  this past weekend I sharpened all my Mother’s knifes.  This system even allowed me to grind shape of new tip on knife which had broken tip.    

I understand what you are saying, we've got some "cheap" knives but also a Japanese Damascus forged knife that is a thing of beauty....as well as being razor sharp.

I suppose it's like most things, whether it's watches, handbags, cars or clothes.... the divide between the low-cost end and the high end can be astronomical but they all do the same basic things.

P1090949crc.jpg