For those of you that use your deflector plate for cooking, tell me, how do you clean it?  Do you periodically run your kamado at a high temp for a while to clean it and the grill?  What’s your method?

1 hour ago, grill seeker said:

I do high temp burn offs, especially after several low heat cooks, or a long smoke.  But the deflector plates, I just flip over every time and let the fire burn off the crud. 

Ok. I’ve done several low and slows but I’ve not done a burn off yet. Ever since the kamado I’ve not done anything but smoke, I’ve not even used it to grill. 

But, after reverse searing my burgers tonight there was a lot of black liquid on the plate, I attributed it to the deflector plate. 

15 hours ago, grill seeker said:

I do high temp burn offs, especially after several low heat cooks, or a long smoke.  But the deflector plates, I just flip over every time and let the fire burn off the crud. 

When you do a high temp burn off do you leave your deflector plate in?

20 hours ago, bushcraft_joe said:

For those of you that use your deflector plate for cooking, tell me, how do you clean it?  Do you periodically run your kamado at a high temp for a while to clean it and the grill?  What’s your method?

I leave the deflector plate in and when the top starts to look a little grungier than I prefer, I turn it over and the underside is white and clean.

I don't know for sure, but even with a low and slow cook, the underside of the deflectors should get burned off so that they are clean . It's the fire underneath the deflectors that burn off the gunk and clean them.

6 hours ago, bushcraft_joe said:

When you do a high temp burn off do you leave your deflector plate in?

usually not - however I don't think it will hurt especially if you put them on top of your grates if your worried about them being too close to the fire.  When I cook pizzas I get the grill pretty hot with the deflectors on the grate > Spacers > pizza stone  - so they can handle some higher temps. 

Thanks guys. I smoked two burgers last night and afterwards I opened her up the whole way and got it to 500. I kept having a difficult time with the top of the vent getting stuck from all the grease. 

DF3A4432-CC4D-447A-AFF5-5BD148727030.thumb.jpeg.066ff2176bd36015e7c2f02c5588dc5c.jpeg

I let it burn for about 15 minutes and when I opened it up this morning the grease had burnt off and the dome vent wasn’t stuck. 

Wrapping the deflector in foil runs the risk if it literally burning up - turning to

black ashes with a smokey, acrid smell. Been there - done that! You're much

better off using a drip pan such as an appropriate sized deep dish pizza pan.

This will help keep your deflector clean. Your other option is to reverse the deflector

from cook to cook, as suggested above. That will burn off any crud.

3 hours ago, RedDawn289 said:

Has anyone tried just wrapping it in tinfoil? Is there anything wrong with doing this?

On 5/5/2019 at 5:50 PM, bushcraft_joe said:

Easiest and tastiest solution is to just cook pizza after a low and slow or once a week, like I do. Rotate your dirtiest stone to the the bottom of your pizza  setup with the dirtiest side facing down. Cook a couple of pies and your stone is pretty close to Snow White.

This is my Pizza set up

IMG_0409.thumb.jpeg.60be5256c0ca576ed13ee17bc5bf48c1.jpeg

The Pizza stone was my dirtiest stone and on the bottom during my last pizza cook

IMG_0410.thumb.jpeg.31c5ec9a19092dd38cccfb8545fd1011.jpeg

If you cook pizza regularly and rotate your stones in the manner I describe you will always have at least one clean stone, and become good at making dough and  cooking pizza. Can't beat that deal in my book :)