New KJ Owner!!

Balin

I've been a long time lurker and wanted thank all the previous posters for the knowledge I have gleaned from this forum.

My Kamado Joe Classic gets delivered tomorrow!  Lowe's had the Classic I on sale which was $600 cheaper than the Classic II.

I am moving over from an Akorn that rusted out this winter, and am concerned about the loss of grill space.

I am having a burger day on Sunday for Mother's Day and hope to fit 10-12 burgers on it.  Am concerned over nothing?

Depending on how you pat out the burgers, You should be good.  I prefer an 80/20 mix for burgers, so putting that many on any grill that size will cause some flare ups.  The extended rack will help, but it seems you will be constantly moving burgers around, and likely take as long as doing 2 rounds of 6-8 burgers. 

My Classic 1 arrived Tuesday evening and got the beast up on the deck and put together that night.  I was nicely surprised that it shipped with the Classic II firebox so I guess I got a Classic 1.3, lol.  I just need to change the chimney and gasket and then it will be a Classic II without the improved hinge!!

I did a quick cure that night, got it running at 350 for a couple of hours.  Made sausage for lunch and chicken souvlaki tonight.

Even though my old Akorn had a 20 inch grill the souvlaki fit better on the Classic with an 18 inch grill maybe because of the dome?

I also have more indirect cooking surface on the classic.  I compared the heat deflectors and its about a half inch wider diameter on the KJ deflector compared to the Akorn.  I was worried about my choice of size of KJ but I didn't want to shell out for a Big Joe and now I am glad I chose the Classic!!  Now what to cook for tomorrow?!?

I have the original 2014 Classic 1 in Black. I see no need whatsoever to get a newer model. In fact I prefer the bullet proof cast iron daisy wheel vent. I am stil on my original felt gasket. 

I would like to get the KJ charcoal basket for it but I cant seem to locate one anywhere in Canada.

I just ordered the basket from Atlanta Grill company but they do not deliver to Canada.  I am having it shipped to my brother in law in North Carolina for him to bring up next time he visits.  If I cannot wait he said he'd mail it to me which will cost a bit more!

And I should add, I am really happy with my Classic.  I am not changing vents or gaskets anytime soon.  Though the newer vent might come in handy in the winter.

@glenn3 How do you find the classic performs on those cold January nights?