Steve325

Louisiana grill kamado from Costco

Just picked mine up today and got it all set up. Did the break in for a few hours and going to put some ribs on tomorrow. I do see where people are having a lot of air leakage on the bottom and the top plate needs some more felt, so I plan on addressing this tomorrow and will see how things go

Building process was pretty simple, took about an hour.  I managed to do it myself, but I don't recommend this for everyone.  I was able to lift it in place after taking out the heat deflector, otherwise it was too big and too heavy.  I just finished up my first smoke.  I did 1 rack of St Louis cut spare ribs and 1 7 lb pork butt.   I did the felt mod on the bottom vent, but haven't got around to the top yet.  I didn't notice any leaking, but it does feel loose and slides around when I try to adjust the top.  Initially I was happy with the temperature control, but as time went on I felt like there wasn't enough oxygen getting to the coals and I had to open the bottom vent about 2" to get things going again.  I felt like adjusting the bottom vent with the slider grate with little holes had very little impact on the temperature control.  The ash mod and woo ring will for sure be my next purchase.  The food is still in foil, so I haven't done the taste test, but it sure smells delicious

My 3 year old CharGriller Akorn Komado rusted out a couple weeks ago. I was ready to buy a Big Green Egg, but saw the LG K24 at Costco. My wife went back and bought it as a surprise. I had no trouble assembling it, but I did have my 18 yr old grandson help lift the body onto the stand... I cured the grill per the instructions, and started grilling the next day. 
So far I've grilled chicken pieces, rib eye steaks, a couple whole chickens, and 3 racks of ribs using both top and bottom grid. The extra size really made grilling for a large group easy.
I have not noticed any problems with felt on the top or bottom. I haven't tried to smoke a pork butt yet, so I guess that will be the test. I'm trying to find an adapter for my PartyQ, so far no response from BBQ Guru. I'm hoping it's the same as a Pit Boss K24. But won't buy one until I hear back.
Needless to say I am very happy I didn't drop over a grand on the BGE.

I picked mine up in Austin, TX for $599.  I sealed top vent and it holds temps now.  Loving it and I’ve cooked brisket, burgers, steaks, ribs, and smoked salmon.  I will say I completely got temps too high for first couple of cooks but now it’s on point.  Looking to add table at some point.  

3 hours ago, Red River Smoke said:

@NPerakes The Pit Boss and the Louisiana Grill K24 are exactly the same, same parent company. 

Good to know, thanks.

I spoke with BBQ Guru's customer service rep this morning. He got me the right part number for the adapter.

$20 for the part and it will be here next week...

But based on my experience with LG K24, I may not need the PartyQ. It seem to hold temps really stable.

The test will be when I smoke a brisket at 200*

When you installed the top vent, you should have noticed it fits loosely/slides around and the felt actually does nothing. A 2nd layer is needed to seal.

5 hours ago, Walrus said:

When you installed the top vent, you should have noticed it fits loosely/slides around and the felt actually does nothing. A 2nd layer is needed to seal.

I just put on a second layer of felt and will be doing a brisket here on Wednesday, so I'm hoping for the best.

On 5/9/2019 at 3:48 PM, Steve325 said:

Building process was pretty simple, took about an hour.  I managed to do it myself, but I don't recommend this for everyone.  I was able to lift it in place after taking out the heat deflector, otherwise it was too big and too heavy.  I just finished up my first smoke.  I did 1 rack of St Louis cut spare ribs and 1 7 lb pork butt.   I did the felt mod on the bottom vent, but haven't got around to the top yet.  I didn't notice any leaking, but it does feel loose and slides around when I try to adjust the top.  Initially I was happy with the temperature control, but as time went on I felt like there wasn't enough oxygen getting to the coals and I had to open the bottom vent about 2" to get things going again.  I felt like adjusting the bottom vent with the slider grate with little holes had very little impact on the temperature control.  The ash mod and woo ring will for sure be my next purchase.  The food is still in foil, so I haven't done the taste test, but it sure smells delicious

If you need the vents open that much to hold temp, you probably need to use significantly more charcoal.  Kamados work best with way too much fuel and just enough air flow. 

I purchased a K24 from Costco last month. Now I notice alot of small white cracks all over it. I called Dansons and they called it crazing. They offered to send me blue high temp spray paint but I don't know if it's worth it. Any thoughts?

20190602_073443.jpg

20190602_073441.jpg

49 minutes ago, D.G. said:

I purchased a K24 from Costco last month. Now I notice alot of small white cracks all over it. I called Dansons and they called it crazing. They offered to send me blue high temp spray paint but I don't know if it's worth it. Any thoughts?

20190602_073443.jpg

20190602_073441.jpg

Yes it's crazing. Won't hurt anything. Leave it alone and don't worry about it. 

BTW - welcome to Kamado Guru. 

Yup, Ck is, as usual, correct in his assessment. Crazing is extremely common. Almost every kamado made has it to some extent. never seen it become a problem. New owners often envision pealing glaze and unsealed ceramic, but honestly. after having been around kamado cooking for a long while,  I have never ever seen that occur. My 6 year old Large BGE has it and my Vision Pro C before that had it big time. Just the nature of fired ceramic. My advice is "Don't Worry And Cook On It" Gives your kamado character and  years for now you won't even think about it when you go out to cook. If you look at a fine set of old china plates you will often see the same effect.