• Similar Content

• By Tarnation
      Smoke rolls early in the morning for this rack of ribs and a prime brisket.  Binder is mustard, rub for the ribs is a Traeger rub I poached from dad, rub for the brisket is Thundering Longhorn beef rub. I'll keep you updated.

• By PatrickYYC
      Hi all,

I will be firing up my big joe for the first time tomorrow for some baby back ribs.

I have done ribs before on my Bradley smoker & weber gaser using the 3-2-0.5 (3 hours on the smoker, 2 hours wrapped on the Weber and 0.5 hours with sauce). I do the last two steps on the weber just because the ribs are more accessible for wrapping and sauce. Family usually loves these.

Ribs on the Joe:

I am planning on dry rub, no sugar ~5 hours @ 225-250 with no wrap, occasional spritzing and add sauce for last 30 minutes or so.

Questions:
      1- Is a drop pan necessary? Dry or with liquid in it? Based on my reading so far, I think not necessary other than to keep the heat deflector clean... opinions?
      2- To wrap or not to wrap? It seems both are acceptable. preferences? impact?
      3- how do I know they are done? by temp? bones? probe?

Any other suggestions?

I'll post during and after pics tomorrow.

Thanks

• By Lydia
      Thanks to Kismet Kamado for putting me on to the technique detailed by keeperovdeflame on how to cook an easy spatchcock chicken.  I changed up my recipe by mixing my homemade basil pesto with some butter and putting that under the skin of the breast, thighs and legs.  Also, the veggies i used in the tray under the chicken were potato, carrots and parsnips from my garden and some little purple shallot onions.

I was travelling quite nicely at 400 - 410F when I walked away and returned for it to be up to 450.  I tried closing the vents right down and it did work, so I took it all out after about 1 hour.  You will notice in my photos that I have two probes, one in the the thigh and the other in the breast.  Something seemed to go awry with what I thought was a good plan because the beeper started beeping on the weber temperature thingo after about 10 mins, alerting me that the chicken was finished, which it obviously wasn't.  Not sure what I did wrong with the positioning, so would appreciate any feedback about that.

The chicken turned out  absolutely deeeeelicious!!!  The skin was lovely and crispy and all parts of the bird, even the breast, lovely and juicy. 

Unfortunately my lovely veggies didn't turn out so well, with the majority being too far on the charred side of things, with the bottoms quite burnt.  The parts that did turn out well, were really delicious because of the chicken and pesto flavoured drippings, so I will definitely try this method again.  I was a bit reluctant to use my expensive staub in the kamado, so had used a metal tefal baking dish but think that perhaps placing it directly on the diffuser might have been the issue?  Maybe I should have used a trivet as a spacer??  

Another thing I realised afterwards was that I shouldn't have  removed so much of the excess skin from around the neck because of the inevitable shrinkage.  It's all learning! :-)

Suffice to say, we all really loved the meal and the Christening of my beloved new Kamado Joe Classic II.   It was a pretty small bird but I tell you what, that chicken and pesto smelt absolutely amazing 10 mins into the cook!!

LOL, nothing against my Pro Q 20 elite but when my husband saw how quickly the kamado got to 400F with absolutely no mess or fuss, he was astonished and suitably impressed! :-)

I actually wasn't going to share details of this first cook because it isn't my best work but I am confident that I - like everyone else - will learn lots along the way.  

Thanks for reading my first post on my first cook.  Have a great day! :-)

• By ClayB
      Had a day off so while doing some Honey do's around the house I smoked some ribs for supper. 

• By CentralTexBBQ
      Documenting my cook on the 4th: Beef Plate Ribs, 3 slabs of baby backs, 4 pounds of sausage

no plates or bbq sauce needed...