• Similar Content

• By social assassin
      Hi,

I was hoping someone could tell me how I determine if I received version 2 of the iKamand.  I just received it in 3/30/20 directly from KJ and used it for the first time today.  I updated the software to V 1.0.54.  I experienced several problems during my attempt to smoke a pork shoulder.  First, three times it over shot the temp I set in the app by an average of 11%.  Then the app notified me that the pork was at my target temp of 203.  I then used my Therma-Pop thermometer to confirm and found that the roast was only 185 - 187 in four different areas.  Obviously way off my target.  All this is why I’m concerned that they shipped me version 1 of the iKamand.

I would appreciate any help you all can provide.

Take Care & Stay Safe!

Pablo
    • By Dave Bradfute
      I'm gonna do some baby backs this weekend and would like to hear some opinions. 

1. Temp. I'm thinking low and slow at about 225 to 250
      2. Time - wrapped vs. unwrapped. 5 1/2 hours ish?

I used to do mine in a pellet with the 3-2-1 method, although for BB's I did 3-1-.5.

Let me hear your methods and why.

• By Tarnation
      Smoke rolls early in the morning for this rack of ribs and a prime brisket.  Binder is mustard, rub for the ribs is a Traeger rub I poached from dad, rub for the brisket is Thundering Longhorn beef rub. I'll keep you updated.

• By PatrickYYC
      Hi all,

I will be firing up my big joe for the first time tomorrow for some baby back ribs.

I have done ribs before on my Bradley smoker & weber gaser using the 3-2-0.5 (3 hours on the smoker, 2 hours wrapped on the Weber and 0.5 hours with sauce). I do the last two steps on the weber just because the ribs are more accessible for wrapping and sauce. Family usually loves these.

Ribs on the Joe:

I am planning on dry rub, no sugar ~5 hours @ 225-250 with no wrap, occasional spritzing and add sauce for last 30 minutes or so.

Questions:
      1- Is a drop pan necessary? Dry or with liquid in it? Based on my reading so far, I think not necessary other than to keep the heat deflector clean... opinions?
      2- To wrap or not to wrap? It seems both are acceptable. preferences? impact?
      3- how do I know they are done? by temp? bones? probe?

Any other suggestions?

I'll post during and after pics tomorrow.

Thanks

• By ClayB
      Had a day off so while doing some Honey do's around the house I smoked some ribs for supper.