social assassin

2-2-1 Method for Baby Back Ribs Didn't Work for Me

3 hours ago, fbov said:

Decision criteria can vary 

Frank

My point, exactly.  We are talking about very thin meat and a lot of bone.  What and where are you measuring?  I don't think probe thermometers make much sense for pork ribs.

On 5/8/2019 at 3:56 PM, SeaBrisket said:

I find ribs super easy and zero stress. I do nothing special to them and I don't use a thermometer to check when they're done. I cook indirect at 225 on the dome thermometer, no separate grill level thermometer (I also have the KJ Classic). Since I use a rib rack, I flip them over midway through, but if you're not using one you can just let it sit. I don't wrap at any point, I don't spritz. The bend test tells me when they're done. 

I always do St Louis style and that takes me 5.5-6 hours total. According to Meathead, whose recipe I follow, baby backs should take 3-4 (https://amazingribs.com/best-barbecue-ribs-recipe). 

I am currently smoking   ST. Louis ribs using meathead dry rub recipe.  Right now trying to get my Akorn down around 225.  How  did your ribs turn out?

2 hours ago, packerfan66 said:

I am currently smoking   ST. Louis ribs using meathead dry rub recipe.  Right now trying to get my Akorn down around 225.  How  did your ribs turn out?

I've followed that recipe several times and it's always come out excellent. I don't sauce, I just serve that on the side. Also, I like to cut off the last few bones, the very small ones, from the rest of the rack and let those cook separate as it makes a great mid-smoke snack about 3 hours in.

I like to get pork  ribs that are around 2 lbs. I like the way they cook/smoke. I do baby back ribs. I remove the membrane and do not turn mine. Bone side down the whole cook  225 to 250. I stay away from big racks of baby backs. I will buy the whole side of the rib from time to time, butt that is a whole different cook. I use a dry rub. Spray bottle ASV/AJ. Finish with a glaze of BBQ something I make. Usually sweet and sticky. I bend the rib and pull the whole rib through the sauce. No moping, no brushing. Back on after grill gets to 300 till glaze is set.

On 5/10/2019 at 11:19 PM, John Setzler said:

It's super important to distance yourself from most time and temperature based cooking methods for the big bbq meats.  None of them are going to work consistently.  You will NEVER EVER mess up a rack of any kind of ribs again after you learn what they feel like when they are done.  There is no way to hit that sweet spot (other than luck) by cooking to any time and temperature combination OR to any specific internal meat temperature.  

You can use the toothpick test, which is like probing brisket or boston butt for 'probe tenderness'.  Baby backs won't follow the 'bend test' properly like a rack of pork spares will so there is that to contend with also....

True, but helps to give you some hooks to make sure you don't have to open the grill constantly and that way you can do something else while cooking. 

I always aim for 1-2-1, works like a charm. But sometimes I take some time from the last stint. 

18 hours ago, Bonux said:

True, but helps to give you some hooks to make sure you don't have to open the grill constantly and that way you can do something else while cooking. 

I always aim for 1-2-1, works like a charm. But sometimes I take some time from the last stint. 

I fully understand and agree. My method is ~3.5, check to see if done. :-D

Hi SA,

Sorry about the wall of text.  I'll start by seconding what others have said as far as time and temp guidelines being sometimes very rough estimates.  Frankly, I don't think you did anything egregiously wrong for the maiden voyage other than be too faithful to the method you read about.  I too find that the 2-2-1 method is still overkill for baby back 90% of the time.  As far as what went wrong here (just based on picture and text and my own experience)-

1. As you found out, 212 degrees internal is way over temp for ribs.  I usually pull them off around 200 internal.  I would said they were done 30-60 minutes earlier= takes us right back to the problem with 2-2-1 timing.  Maybe the thickest baby back rack from a cold fridge and a grill holding a perfect 225 will take the full 5 hours.  Most won't.  I've modified it to more like 2- 1.5- .5 or 1.5-1-1, keeping the smoke time as the longest leg.  I usually just wing it with target meat temps during the same 3-leg cook.  I barely even lift the lid for the first hour or two other than to spritz or mop with apple juice once or twice.  I try to stay under 250 and keep a thin blue smoke until I hit 150-160 internal- very rarely happens outside 1.5-2.5 hours.  You can tell by whether or not the fat has started to split.  You'll see fresh cracks in the rub with juice coming out.  Then wrap in foil, rerub, pour some apple juice in the foil, and return to grill until ribs hit 185-190.  Foil helps power through the stall by using moisture in the foil from meat or liquids added to steam it.  Grill temp during wrap really doesn't matter as much.  A higher temp will speed up your cook and the foil will keep them moist.  But too high (above 350) and you start burning sugars in both the meat and the rub.  Smoke no longer matters either.  Meat stops taking smoke around 150-160.  Once the ribs hit 185-190, unwrap, sprinkle with rub again/hit them with sauce, and let them go to 200.  You can smoke again lightly during this last leg if you sauce.  Only the sauce is going to pick up smoke.  Pull from grill at 200.  They should have some noticeable pullback where the meat has shrunk and exposed the bones.  They should also bend substantially or split if you hold them with tongs in the middle or halfway from one end.  Very unusual for them not to turn out great this way.  Once in a while, I get a weird rack that doesn't cooperate and either dries out or never gets real tender.  Just luck of the draw sometimes.

2.  Is it possible the thermometer was touching a bone?  I'm not seeing a ton of pullback for that kind of temp.  Maybe it's just the angle of the photo.  Honestly, I don't even know if they would have come off in one piece at that temp.  I would expect them to be practically shredded just getting onto the platter.

3.  You said half was dry.  Was it the thinner end?  How was the other half?  Which part of the ribs did you stick the thermometer?  Was the charcoal evenly lit in the bowl or did you have a hot spot on one side?

4.  Deflector plates are a must for low and slow and I'm glad that you used them, but how about a water pan?  I know I'm on the wrong forum for this sort of blasphemy, but I learned on a Weber Smokey Mountain and water in the pan made a huge difference in cook quality as far as dry meat.  It also helps keep temps nice and stable.  Moisture helps smoke adhere to the meat.

5.  What kind of rub or sauce did you use and when did it go on?  I'm seeing what looks like large amounts of char on the both racks, more than I would expect for a low and slow.  Was there lots of sugar in either?  You said 250-280 temp, but did it ever get out of control for a few minutes?  Flare-ups?  Dman's pic is basically what color mine look like every time just before sauce goes on.  You want that nice deep red-brown mahogany look.

I hope this helps.

Don't despair It will get better. Keep notes on the cooks for comparing between cooks. Also each slab of "food from the gods" are different, time will vary and they will be done when they want to be done, meat on a barbie or Kamado is really incharge. I think you just cooked to long, hard to use thermometer meat is too thin, I use a toothpick to test for doneness i've wrapped some and some not. It's a personal preference My wife likes wrapped i don't. Enjoy your grill and keep smoking.  

I have a different approach when doing ribs - nice if you like Chinese style ribs. Firstly  I always remove the membrane from the inside of the ribs. Then rather than a rub I use a marinade - a mixture of Hoisin sauce, lemon juice (or sometimes Shaoxing rice wine), soy sauce and sesame oil (or olive oil works as well). I get a good coating on the ribs then let them marinade for 24 hours if possible. Then cook at a temp of around 280 until done (1-2 hrs max).

The marinade should tenderize the meat sufficiently that cooking at this higher temp and much shorter time results in ribs that are tender (but not fall-apart, fall-off-the-bone tender), but really juicy. No need for any sauce as you should end up with beautifully glazed juicy ribs. The thought of them is making me hungry !

SA 

How did your 2nd rib try go? I did a rack of st Louis style ribs Sunday. 230 degrees from noon to 5 pm didn't wrap. Tender used tooth pick to test for doness. Very moist. Hope you had better luck this time. It's a learning process. It will come after a while and every rack is different.

Maybee it was a problem with the quality of the meat?

I'm from Sweden and we don't have a bbq culture.
Good quality is not easy to find for a reasonable price here.
One does not cut an animal in the same way as in the USA either

I've been a kamado owner for one year now and done pork ribs 10-15 times.
Tested different methods and they been great every time except the last time although I did not do anything different.
They were tough and a little dry. I suspect that the quality of the meat was the probem for me the last time.