Jump to content

MuskieHunter

Buying used...would you?

Recommended Posts

I am considering to buy used.  What causes me to pause on this is used prices near me are $550+ and I don’t know what the risk is I may have to buy cracked internal parts down the road.  What is the replacement cost of the firebox and ring?  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MuskieHunter said:

I am considering to buy used.  What causes me to pause on this is used prices near me are $550+ and I don’t know what the risk is I may have to buy cracked internal parts down the road.  What is the replacement cost of the firebox and ring?  Thanks

Buying used you have no warranty. You would want to inspect for cracks and chips and make sure lighter fluid was not used on it.  I’m presuming it’s a green egg you are looking for, as this is in the green egg section.  550 plus could be a great deal if it’s a decent size, depending on the condition it’s in and what accessories you get with it. Or it could be a bad deal.

if you do have to replace something like a firebox out of pocket, that piece would then be covered by the warranty going forward. A well cared for large egg at 550 is a no brainer imho if you want to get a quality used kamado.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW. I had a LBGE given to me. It was a mess. I spent near $500 on accessories, etc.--a new firebox, grid, grill, and so forth and had half again that much in parts and pieces given to me by generous people over on the egghead forum.

 

When I got into seriously putting it all back together, I discovered I had a hairline crack in the base. Being retired and on a very limited income, I was sick at having sunk so much into it.

 

People advised me to just cook with it, anyway. So that's what I did. I've had zero problems despite a slight underbite that I cannot seem to get rid of--it holds temp really well and shuts down relatively quickly.

 

Makes a killer pizza, as well as butt, spatchcock,  and brisket.

 

But so does my Akorn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though after purchasing a used BGE or being gifted one, you will not be eligible for the "Original Owner Warranty"; it is important to remember that for any new ceramic parts you purchase from BGE, you will be the (OO) and eligible for a lifetime or limited warranty on the specific parts you purchase. So while you may have to purchase a new fire box, it will be the only one you need to purchase. Same thing goes for all the major ceramic components. Stones, platesetters and other accessory ceramics have limited warrantees and not life time coverage. A good used BGE is a good purchase in my book. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 4:39 PM, prowe said:

Buying used you have no warranty. You would want to inspect for cracks and chips and make sure lighter fluid was not used on it.  I’m presuming it’s a green egg you are looking for, as this is in the green egg section.  550 plus could be a great deal if it’s a decent size, depending on the condition it’s in and what accessories you get with it. Or it could be a bad deal.

if you do have to replace something like a firebox out of pocket, that piece would then be covered by the warranty going forward. A well cared for large egg at 550 is a no brainer imho if you want to get a quality used kamado.

 

How would you be able to tell if lighter fluid had been used on it?

 

While not recommended, what negative effect would using lighter fluid have on the ceramics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rick in Ontario said:

 

How would you be able to tell if lighter fluid had been used on it?

 

While not recommended, what negative effect would using lighter fluid have on the ceramics?

if it smells like lighter fluid avoid it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, prowe said:

if it smells like lighter fluid avoid it.

 

Thats what she said & personally, i would have zero issue buying a used kamado .

 

i'd  check for cracks in the base & top and it if was in good shape and price was right, then i would buy.  my kamados have had zero failure rate outside of a cracked firebox here and there and if they werent free replacement and free shipping under warranty i wouldnt have bothered replacing them (kamado joes, black ones)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...