Sign in to follow this  
DaveBevan

Joe Jr. Tomahawk Steak

Hi,

Has anyone tried cooking a tomahawk steak in the joe jr.  Cooking area of 13" enough for the steak and the bone?  

if it's not an option ... then my next step is to move up to a classic.

If yes - please give me your thoughts on how you approached it.

Thanks,

Have tried and can’t do it. Have just ended up going with a cowboy ribeye or cote de boeuf with less of a bone but still the same great meat element so that you can get a good smoke for the reverse sear. 

33170AC3-2EED-4D2F-8B13-5F89215A0D52.jpeg

I did it last year Father’s Day full bone. Google yielded no results so I did my own thing. Firstly with no deflectors and the firebox  ring removed I seared it Dome up for a couple of minutes each side (maybe slightly less) I then took it off put the ring back heat deflector in and put a probe in cooked low and slow until a medium kind of temperature took about 30-40mins but that was the best tomahawk ever! I had to have the bone stick out the chimney though so I shut the daisy wheel right down and butted it up against the bone to get about the right airflow!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By GrillDawg
      Having some guys over on Sunday evening to hang out and I'm wanting to get them all steaks. Would prefer to do some kind of reverse sear.

Since I won't be able to fit them all on the grill, I was thinking put them all in the oven to temp and then sear them. 

Anyone see a flaw in my plan? Any advice on grilling 10-12 steaks on a KJ Classic II?
    • By Smokingdadbbq
      After doing a warm up burn in before the weekend when we were away I was excited to get home and do my first cook on my new kamado Joe 3. 

I reverse seared the tomahawk with the SloRoller at 250 until the IT hit 114 and then set it aside under foil while I change the setup for searing the steak and cast iron frying the shrimp. 

couldn’t be happier with the cook, it was also my first time using one of the two bags I picked up on the weekend of KJ charcoal, not sure how much of the awesome is the coal vs the grill but it all worked together to make a meal our guests will remember. Can’t wait to try more cooks. 

Posting a sneak peek before this hits my instagram page https://www.instagram.com/smokingdadbbq/

• By KamadoHop
      Thanks to @Kamadobjorn for the inspiration. The table is the “Applaro” Line. The hardware that you see in the last pictures all came from Hobby Lobby. The table comes with a thin, cheap pull bar and nothing else, not even knobs for the doors. The cooler pic is just for reference as that was what I was doing prior to getting the table. The last pic is sans hardware just the way it comes from IKEA. 

I used Lenox 18TPI metal jigsaw blades with an adjustable speed jigsaw set to its lowest setting to cut the hole. I used this edge trim from Amazon: Trim

If you have any other questions just ask. Cheers. 

• By TubacKC
      Excited to try out brand new Kamado Joe Jr lastnight (although taking all that plastic wrap off the stand was NOT fun!!). Anyway, got it all set up, used Kamado Joe Big Block charcoal, fired up... and waited and waited and waited for it to finally reach 300 degrees. Did everything by the book (well, there was no book, but followed instructions from different websites). How could this little bitty Kamado have such a struggle heating up? Never did get it past 325. HELP!!
    • By Smokingdadbbq
      This was unexpected, on Saturday  a grocery store had Tomahawks in for $16/lbs vs 28 at my local butcher so I thought I would give them a try. 

I used the Jess Pryles dry brine method (link) and left them uncovered in the fridge for three days flipping and drying once a day before cooking last night when I seasoned them with hardcore carnivores black rub

set the egg up for a reverse sear and eventually sliced into pure magic. Easily top 3 ever which was unexpected given their grocery store pedigree