Mrwordsworth

What kind of lump is everyone using?

I bought the big green egg brand to try this weekend that's supposed to be oak and hickory. Before that I bought a bag of the  cheap cowboy stuff from Costco and it's not so great. Seems like alot of it is tiny bits.

Iam close to a menards and home depot though but havnt checked out their lump yet. I bought the BGE stuff at Ace hardware by my work.

Not a fan of cowboy either.  Rockwood is usually my go to, I also like KJ XL - some of the lump needs to be broken up.  I have a bag of FOGO super premium that I am testing out tomorrow on some chicken and ribs. 

for The heck of it I’m going to list the charcoals I have used listed from my least favorite to favorite, without taking price into account.

frontier, cowboy, basques, royal oak/green egg/wegmans, wicked good, black Diamond/char griller,  Fogo black bag, kamado joe big block, Fogo super premium. 

This is just my opinion. In some cases first impression. 

I like like big chunks 

and I can not lie

I guess I'm a light weight in the various lump I've used.   My list from least favorite to favorite: Cowboy RO KJ Big Block.   Currently stocked up on KJ from the road show couple of weeks ago.  And I try to hit them up every time they come to town.

Thanks guys. The BGE lump did a good job on my spatchcock barbecue chicken today. I used Weber kc rub inside and out cooking at 350 for about an hour or so. The last 10 minutes of cook I doused the bird in sweet baby Ray's. I ended up taking it off the grill at 155 at the breast meat and let sit for 10 minutes. Meat was juicy and awesome.

52 minutes ago, Mrwordsworth said:

Thanks guys. The BGE lump did a good job on my spatchcock barbecue chicken today. I used Weber kc rub inside and out cooking at 350 for about an hour or so. The last 10 minutes of cook I doused the bird in sweet baby Ray's. I ended up taking it off the grill at 155 at the breast meat and let sit for 10 minutes. Meat was juicy and awesome.

Great to hear. RoyL oak is probably the most common favorite lump amongst lump users. I have stocked up on it and done some great cooks with it.I will advise you however it is royal oak in a green bag and rebranded BGE is still just royal oak at BGE prices. I believe the label says it’s some kind of select pieces...I never seen a difference. 

I'm just finishing two large bags of FOGO and it's very good.

Next up is two large bags of KJ extra large lump..

Takes me a year to get through two bags it seems..

On 5/11/2019 at 3:02 PM, grill seeker said:

Not a fan of cowboy either.  Rockwood is usually my go to, I also like KJ XL - some of the lump needs to be broken up.  I have a bag of FOGO super premium that I am testing out tomorrow on some chicken and ribs. 

I have to say I was really impressed with the fogo - I did a moderate smoke (ribs) on a half a basket just to see how long the burn would be.  It used about half over about 5 hours (1/4 basket).  What was burned left clean white ash and very little.  It may be my new go to. 

I'll still keep a bag of cowboy on hand for high temp burn offs. 

1 hour ago, grill seeker said:

I have to say I was really impressed with the fogo - I did a moderate smoke (ribs) on a half a basket just to see how long the burn would be.  It used about half over about 5 hours (1/4 basket).  What was burned left clean white ash and very little.  It may be my new go to. 

Fogo is South American hardwoods. They are denser and burn cleaner than North American hardwoods. With lump you basically get what you pay for. 

1 hour ago, grill seeker said:

I almost always ways have a couple bags of cowboy on hand. Not my favorite, but no shame in it. As you state...also good for high temp burn offs. But will cook a burger fine too. Again, not my fave, but does the job. Is accessible and affordable.

now tomorrow when I do 3 butts overnight and perhaps a few fatties the next morn, might not be my go to. But a fine product for its purpose nonetheless.

Lol...CK!   Even cowboy has a purpose my man. I do use it on the oddball occasion, and for high temp burn offs.  I fact just did it yesteday. Haven’t used big joe in a bit. Gonna use him tomorrow. Did a high temp burn. 

Aint no no way I’m using Fogo or big block for such an application.