Mrwordsworth

What kind of lump is everyone using?

55 minutes ago, prowe said:

Lol...CK!   Even cowboy has a purpose my man. I do use it on the oddball occasion, and for high temp burn offs.  I fact just did it yesteday. Haven’t used big joe in a bit. Gonna use him tomorrow. Did a high temp burn. 

Aint no no way I’m using Fogo or big block for such an application.

If I'm remembering correctly you asked me to send the leftovers. 

The leftovers aren't even worth the effort to ship them. That's assuming I'm getting free shipping....... Fress shipping still not worth it.... 

I guess I almost never do a high heat burn but I do understand not wanting to waste the good stuff for that.. 

I am currently burning the Big Block since Lowes in my area has started to carry it. I tried the RO from Menards, but had so many rocks and metal banding come out of the bag, it turned me off from ever buying that again. Costco has the Cowboy in the 40# bags and that was my go to before the big block. I wish the road show would come here. I would buy a couple hundred pounds worth to hopefully get me through the year.

I've been using Cowboy without any problems in my old Akorn. Until recently... the last couple bags have been nothing but small pieces. The Lowes near me just started carrying Kamado Joe lump charcoal. I'll be trying a bag this weekend.

I've had really good luck with Royal Oak from Menards this spring, nice big chunks and not much waste. These are the green/yellow bags, not sure if it's different than the red bags HD would carry.

I'm using Cowboy "Southern Style" and I am not that impressed.  I guess it is good for direct heat grilling but it burns too quick for smoking and the flavor is pretty overpowering.  I am finding lots of rock and partially charred chunks in the bags.  Beyond that most of the lumps are tiny too.  I need to get multiple charcoal containers so I can sort them out but I think once I'm done with these bags I'm going to try RO.

I grilled a 9 lb beef tenderloin yesterday using Kamado Joe's Big Block. They weren't kidding when they named it big block... It's mostly softball size pieces. Started fast, burn nice with plenty of smoke that wasn't over poweering.

I bought three bags of KJ Big Block on sale when I got my kamado,   and recently I picked up a bag of Basques Nature's Own from Costco to try, which I thought was pretty good especially considering the price.  Not that I have a ton of experience with different lumps but the smell of the Basques is very nice, smells exactly to me of that nice mellow smokey smell you get in a house heated with a wood stove.   The KJ has a bit more of a harsher note to it I find. Some decent size chunks in there, and no more dust and fines than the KJ had.  Last high heat cook I did it got nice and hot and I was shocked how much I had left over after the pizza cook.  

I've had the good fortune to be a new kamado user blessed with @ckreef and his amazing lump comparison thread. I went straight to Fogo Super Premium for my first long-ish (7 hour) short plate cook and honestly, as long as i can continue to get the stuff I'm not going to mess around with anything else. It reacted almost telepathically to the temps I wanted and stayed rock-steady throughout the entire run. Only used 30% of the load as well with the smallest amount of ash you can imagine. The wife loved the aroma it produced before it reached the oak and pecan....and I know where my bread is buttered.

I got the SP and Quebracho while they were on sale. The Quebracho is being delivered this week and I'm rubbing my hands together in glee trying to figure out what I'm going to cook with it first. 

IMG_5339.jpg

1 hour ago, OpieSF said:

I've had the good fortune to be a new kamado user blessed with @ckreef and his amazing lump comparison thread. I went straight to Fogo Super Premium for my first long-ish (7 hour) short plate cook and honestly, as long as i can continue to get the stuff I'm not going to mess around with anything else. It reacted almost telepathically to the temps I wanted and stayed rock-steady throughout the entire run. Only used 30% of the load as well with the smallest amount of ash you can imagine. The wife loved the aroma it produced before it reached the oak and pecan....and I know where my bread is buttered.

I got the SP and Quebracho while they were on sale. The Quebracho is being delivered this week and I'm rubbing my hands together in glee trying to figure out what I'm going to cook with it first. 

IMG_5339.jpg

Looks tasty! Where did you get fogo at? I've heard homedepot has it?

I got a bag of Cowboy when I got my big blue egg at Costco... Walmart has some Western, and going to go by the Depot. Going to place an order on Fogo, too. Darn the tinkering I have to do until I find my go-to's ;)