Mrwordsworth

What kind of lump is everyone using?

2 hours ago, Mrwordsworth said:

Looks tasty! Where did you get fogo at? I've heard homedepot has it?

Order direct from Fogo.com

Free shipping on orders $35 or more. 

This is not going to be applicable to most on here but if you are in the UK and are looking for charcoal CPL Restaurant grade charcoal is very good i usually order 24kg form ebay for about £25.

I was recommended it on here and dont use any other charcoal unless i run out then i use the £5.50 lumpwood charcoal from Tesco.

6 hours ago, OpieSF said:

I've had the good fortune to be a new kamado user blessed with @ckreef and his amazing lump comparison thread. I went straight to Fogo Super Premium for my first long-ish (7 hour) short plate cook and honestly, as long as i can continue to get the stuff I'm not going to mess around with anything else. It reacted almost telepathically to the temps I wanted and stayed rock-steady throughout the entire run. Only used 30% of the load as well with the smallest amount of ash you can imagine. The wife loved the aroma it produced before it reached the oak and pecan....and I know where my bread is buttered.

I got the SP and Quebracho while they were on sale. The Quebracho is being delivered this week and I'm rubbing my hands together in glee trying to figure out what I'm going to cook with it first. 

IMG_5339.jpg

You gone and spoiled yourself now :)

Once you start using the good stuff it's really hard to go back to the other lump. When you account for the extra burn time you get, the price difference isn't as big as it appears at first. 

No worries Fogo isn't going anywhere. Once you figure out the shipping schedule to your address you just have to order a few days beforehand to account for that schedule. 

22 hours ago, Mrwordsworth said:

Looks tasty! Where did you get fogo at? I've heard homedepot has it?

@ckreef nailed it. I ordered direct from Fogo since Seattle is a charcoal wasteland. It arrived in about 3 business days which is absurdly quick for a parcel to get form Florida to the PNW. Quick/free shipping + quality product = return customer.....

...and the ribs were freaking amazing. :) 

13 hours ago, ckreef said:

Has anyone ever heard of Blue Hog?? 

LOL,  but Bigpoppasmokers sells it on their website-

blues_hog_charcoal_bag_20lbs_1000.png.45d04ad5e5df139bc71b0cc57d22da72.png

Blues Hog Natural Lump Charcoal - 20lb Bag

Looking for quality Premium Lump Charocal for your smoker? Blues Hog Natural Lump Charcoal is exactly what you need.

Blues Hog Natural Lump Charcoal is 100% natural and USA made. It's been sustainably sourced from fallen trees and this BBQ charcoal burns slower than other brands giving you a longer cook time.

BBQ Competiiton teams across the competition circuit use Blues Hog Lump Charcoal to achieve blue ribbon results. It's always a hit at the King of the Smokers Invitational BBQ competiton; All of the teams love it!

Start cooking with quality charcoal with Blues Hog Premium Lump Charcoal; Charcoal that will help you achieve the best BBQ results. 
Edited by Scott Roberts

I like large chunks of lump, but this was ridiculous.  I see now from the photos that I should have gotten a picture of the diameter as well.  it was close to 8 inches.  This was from a bag of Kamado Joe Big Block.  I was able to split it to make it work.

IMG_20190609_073226.jpg

IMG_20190609_073234.jpg