Easto

K24 Modifications and Fixes

Seems like a lot of people have picked up the Costco Kamado.   

Can we use this thread as a means to collect all the modifications people are doing to address issues?

Air Leakage:

@Walrus mentioned a 2nd layer of felt is required around the top vent to prevent air leakage.  

Bottom vent also leaks, but there doesn’t seem to be a consensus fix for this 

Loose Hinge:

it it would be awesome if someone found remedies and made a video of how they fixed the issue(s)

Bottom vent :- I removed the screen with all the holes in and put the felt gasket in a square on the back of the slider without the holes. I also removed the rail the doors slide in and put felt gasket on the back and poked holes through for the bolts to seal the whole assembly to the outer body of the ceramic as mine only had RTV sealant across the top of the slider assembly. I didn't replace the slider with the holes. i have since not had a problem with temp control or shutting down. 

Top vent :- extra layer of gasket as everyone already has done 

Hinge :- after reading the posts about hinge problems I think the consensus is to keep the bolts tight enough so they do not move/wiggle when opening and closing the hinge and if they continually work loose undo the nut apply thread locking compound and tighten until just tight enough to stop the bolt from moving/wiggling and also the spring washer is somewhat compressed. 

When I did my lower sliding vent the other day, I put strips all around the perimeter of the solid vent door like everyone else. I used the 3/4" thick stuff for the big green egg sold at Ace. Once I had it tacked down, I used my razor sharp kitchen knife to cut down half the thickness of the felt so the door slid easier. I had thought about adding a little coating of cooking oil to the felt thinking it would slide easier but I chickened out.

4 hours ago, ndg_2000 said:

Bottom vent :- I removed the screen with all the holes in and put the felt gasket in a square on the back of the slider without the holes. I also removed the rail the doors slide in and put felt gasket on the back and poked holes through for the bolts to seal the whole assembly to the outer body of the ceramic as mine only had RTV sealant across the top of the slider assembly. I didn't replace the slider with the holes. i have since not had a problem with temp control or shutting down. 

Top vent :- extra layer of gasket as everyone already has done 

Hinge :- after reading the posts about hinge problems I think the consensus is to keep the bolts tight enough so they do not move/wiggle when opening and closing the hinge and if they continually work loose undo the nut apply thread locking compound and tighten until just tight enough to stop the bolt from moving/wiggling and also the spring washer is somewhat compressed. 

What's the lowest temp you are able to cook at without the bottom vent with holes in there?  I have been considering this too, but afraid that it might be too much airflow 

8 hours ago, Steve325 said:

What's the lowest temp you are able to cook at without the bottom vent with holes in there?  I have been considering this too, but afraid that it might be too much airflow 

I've not had any problem holding 200f  for low and slow; you just need to re learn how far open the bottom vent door needs to be 

For the top vent seal - instead of felt, I made a donut of aluminum foil, very loosely twisted into a, and fit it inside the cap around the edge, and then pressed the cap down onto the lid, so the foil compressed a bit, and reinstalled the cap bolts.  I didn't have extra felt, and too cheap and in a hurry to buy extra felt.  I have zero smoke leakage using this, and it was nearly zero cost/time.

Bottom vent - I cut strips of floor protector felt, again material I had on-hand, and trimmed it down in thickness until it was snug.  I left the holed vent in place, but I do not use it as I find temp control much easier leaving it behind the solid vent and provides a snug fit.  Just this past week I noticed smoke leaking from between the vent frame and the ceramic, so  this weekend I also sealed the sides and bottom gap with a clear Marine Goop, and it helped even more with shutdown to kill the fire I noted.

Looks like I have some work to do this weekend.

When I try and shut down my Kamado I get a lot of smoke coming from the top vent.  I will try and extra layer of felt up there.  I assume the bottom will need the same treatment. 

I added the extra felt around the top damper but that doesn't seem to help much for me.  When I fully close it I still get smoke leaking out of the top vents (but not from the sides)  I tried to play with tightening the center inside screw or even throwing some washers in there but nothing seems to tighten that vent.  When I'm done grilling I close the top and bottom dampers and it takes a few hours for the coals to die out.  I have not noticed any issues with the hinges or the bolts that secure them at this point.

For those with a properly modded kamado, how long does it take for the coals to die out after you close the vents?

14 hours ago, KamadoNut said:

I added the extra felt around the top damper but that doesn't seem to help much for me.  When I fully close it I still get smoke leaking out of the top vents (but not from the sides)  I tried to play with tightening the center inside screw or even throwing some washers in there but nothing seems to tighten that vent.  When I'm done grilling I close the top and bottom dampers and it takes a few hours for the coals to die out.  I have not noticed any issues with the hinges or the bolts that secure them at this point.

For those with a properly modded kamado, how long does it take for the coals to die out after you close the vents?

Mine takes about 2 or 3 hours to drop 200 degrees or so. I keep an eye on it after shutdown so I can put the cover back on and wont do so until it gets down to 100 degrees. It's just tough to tell if you've done it right because that damn ceramic holds heat so well. You have to check the next day by looking at your coals. 

I turned mine off at 6pm and went outside after 10pm to find that it was sitting around 170 degrees and still had some faint glowing coals when I opened it up.  I'm wondering if I could extinguish the coals faster if I threw a small saucepan full of baking soda right on top of the coals (not to throw the baking soda directly on the coals, I want it to heat up and release CO2 to choke it out while still being easy to remove later when I'm ready to grill again.)

I just let mine cool off and it's always cold after sitting overnight, with plenty of unburned lump leftover.

An interesting side note perhaps, I saw a show about charcoal making in Japan (the super expensive stuff) and at the end of the "how to" part of the film they showed how it's used by a grill master and how it was so hard it can be used over and over again.

They dunked it in water and let it dry out for later use.

I'm pretty sure this is the charcoal the show covered.

When you break a stick in two it shines like a jewel.

ttps://www.amazon.com/Kishu-Binchotan-Japanese-Charcoal-Mountains/dp/B00L7485PU