Kamado - Buy a cover or not?

Hello all,

First off, this site has so much great information for a Kamado newbie like myself.   I found AGC through this site and saved nicely on a KJ BJ that I ordered yesterday, which I cannot wait for it to arrive. BTW,  AGC support is top notch!  

I have heard/read that rain/humid days can cause mold/moisture issues in a kamado.  With that said, does it make sense to buy a cover or not?   Does anyone leave it uncovered?  I have watched John’s videos on how to care for and maintain your kamado, and I suspect, I will clean it like a nut to calm my OCD down.  Thanks for reading and thanks such a cool 

29 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Hello all,

First off, this site has so much great information for a Kamado newbie like myself.   I found AGC through this site and saved nicely on a KJ BJ that I ordered yesterday, which I cannot wait for it to arrive. BTW,  AGC support is top notch!  

I have heard/read that rain/humid days can cause mold/moisture issues in a kamado.  With that said, does it make sense to buy a cover or not?   Does anyone leave it uncovered?  I have watched John’s videos on how to care for and maintain your kamado, and I suspect, I will clean it like a nut to calm my OCD down.  Thanks for reading and thanks such a cool 

i live in the UK (think plenty of rain) and cover my kamados. My thinking is the cover will prevent any ADDITIONAL moisture getting into the kamado and help prevent mold. My kamado was outside all winter with a cover (i did get a little mould in the lid near the gasket) but a high temp burn in the spring soon got rid of that.

• 2 months later...

I usually cover mine when rain is expected. When i close the vents to kill the coals after about 2 hrs i open the top vent about 1/2 inch to let the moisture out. Got this from John Setzler video. I think one of the causes of the mold is the Kamado Joe cooks with a lot of moisture in the grill. Opening the top vent might let the excess moisture out Just a thought 

I have recently just got a kamado and had no intention of getting a cover. I got one because it was bundled in with some other stuff and im glad that I did get one now. Not only does it protect from the rain (im in the UK aswell) but it also hides it out of sight, which is great since i can be a little paranoid of leaving expensive things outside (i even put it on backwards so the logo is not on display lol).

• 2 weeks later...

it is nice to have. It covers the bottom shelf on my KJBJ3. I usually have my heat deflectors, x thing, extra greats, and other stuff covered. Would eventually like a storage for it but its nice being there. Plus it just keeps it a little cleaner.