Sign in to follow this  
RedDawn289

First "cook" for me

So I did my first "cook" if you can call it that lol. Bacon Wrapped jalapeno poppers, I slow cooked them at about 275 for an hours and fifteen minutes. They turned out delicious! I'm glad I covered my lava stone in tinfoil though as they were getting messy with cream cheese drippings. Sorry I didn't take any photos of this one.   

On 5/14/2019 at 10:21 AM, keeperovdeflame said:

Sounds like you got the appetizer course down, just keep adding to it, and you got dinner. Any cook on a kamado is a good cook.

Indeed! I've got a nice chunk of prime rib in the freezer just waiting for a christening! 

On 5/16/2019 at 8:34 AM, RedDawn289 said:

wow look at the bark on that! was that yours? If so can you go over what you used and how you cooked it? AWESOME!

350 indirect. Slatherd in whole grain or brown mustard, liberally dusted with a rub of  minced garlic, fresh rosemary, thyme, juniper berry, sage, coarse kosher salt and cracked black pepper. A PR cook is one of the easiest you will ever do. Start with good meat. My access to quality meat is limited where I live. The best I have found is to purchase a whole prime  8 bone or boneless rib eye roast from CostCo. On the day you cook,  cut the whole PR into the size roast you want to cook and  tie up the roast with butchers twine to make it a compact package. For Christmas dinner every year I use a bone in or boneless 4 to 5 bone roast and then cut the rest into individual steaks or small roasts.   Apply mustard  and rub the roast you want to cook  and let it sit out until it comes to room temp. Load up your kamado with a full load of lump, I like to light only one tumble weed starter in the center top of my lump and let my fire develop slowly to 350 over the course of an hour. . I hang a 14" ceramic stone on a spider  beneath my main grate. I use a heavy  custom 1/2" bar and space grate. I use a ThermoWorks Smoke and set one probe deep into the middle of the roast and the other at grate level, being careful not to let the probe come in contact with the roast. When your kamado is up to heat soaked temp, simply place your PR in the middle of your grate, I add one nice size chunk of pecan tightly wrapped aluminum foil with two small holes poked in it when I put the meat on. Now just  connect the probes, and close the lid. Other than listening to music and sipping a beer while you watch the smoke curl up, your cook is pretty much done. I do not sear my PR because I think it unnecessary, the crust you see on my roast forms naturally during the cook at 350 dgs. How long it takes depends on the size of the roast and it's IT when you put it on. In addition the  weather is also a factor in how long it will take to get your PR roast to temp. I cook a PR at Christmass and often have snow on the deck and temps in the high 20's and low 30"s, I have not experienced issues with cold but wind is definitely a factor. I try to turn my kamado cart so my bottom vent is shielded from direct wind.  I pull my PR when the center IT gets to between  115 - 120 dgs and then let it rest for 1/2 and hour while tented or in a clean cooler with the lid shut. Start checking it when the IT gets up around 100 dg. A five bone roast cooked at 350,  in my experience, has a cooking time of 3 to 3 1/2 hours , However, every cook is a bit different and it is not uncommon for your roast to cook a little quicker or most likely take a bit longer.

I like to slice mine by hand with a sharp chefs knife.