Sign in to follow this  
John Setzler

Porter Road Tri Tip

I am diving in to the package of meat I got from Porter Road (https://porterroad.com/) recently.  This is one of the sexiest Tri Tips I have ever seen.  I am gonna use it to try a new technique that I hope will catch on around here.  This roast is gonna get butter poached and then soapstone seared to finish.  I am starting out by giving it a healthy seasoning with my Man Cave Meals AP Mojo seasoning blend.  I wrapped it back up in plastic so it can let that seasoning go to work for about two hours before I move forward.  After that I am gonna get my Kamado Joe going at around 200°F.  I'll put this roast in a 9x13 dish and cover it with ghee and let it poach until I get the internal temp of the meat to around 125-130°F.  I'll pull it out at that point and ramp the temp up in the grill to get the soapstone hot enough to sear finish the meat...

20190515_101914.jpg

20190515_102152.jpg

20190514_165220.jpg

I made a large batch of ghee yesterday... lol

This looks like it'll be amazing, but is the tri-tip still wrapped in plastic in that last pic?

Honest question: if it's still in plastic what's the advantage over water and a circulator?

Poaching in ghee, rosemary, and garlic has to be incredible.

29 minutes ago, OpieSF said:

This looks like it'll be amazing, but is the tri-tip still wrapped in plastic in that last pic?

Honest question: if it's still in plastic what's the advantage over water and a circulator?

Poaching in ghee, rosemary, and garlic has to be incredible.

Its' not still in plastic.  some of the ghee just congealed when i poured it on the cold meat.