Spacer!!!

when I run low and slow on my KJ, I put te deflector in the bottom position, the I put the accessory rack in the middle position and put my drip pan in (typically adding some potatoes, carrots, onions... in it), the my grates in the top position.  This will give you less smoke from drippings hitting your deflector.  If you have your drip pan right on the deflector, your pan will do the same thing when the drippings hit it.  The space between the deflector and pan are key.

I run ceramic spacers and to tell the truth, I don't see much difference, with or without.

On long cooks running the spacers the deflector heats up enough to fry whatever drips into the pan, so perhaps the spacers delay the heat up but do not prevent it or reduce it.

I set mine directly on the stones but Im not trying to save drippings like some do and It may not be the best thing for the planet but I use disposable aluminum foil lids as my drip pan 

On 5/18/2019 at 4:22 AM, Bgosnell151 said:

Spacer!!!

when I run low and slow on my KJ, I put te deflector in the bottom position, the I put the accessory rack in the middle position and put my drip pan in (typically adding some potatoes, carrots, onions... in it), the my grates in the top position.  This will give you less smoke from drippings hitting your deflector.  If you have your drip pan right on the deflector, your pan will do the same thing when the drippings hit it.  The space between the deflector and pan are key.

+1 on the space between the deflector and pan. Did my first cook on the KJ Classic II last night and the accessory rack is awesome. First time without scorched drippings. 

@Chasdev, where did you get that drip pan and what size? I used my Pyrex glass cake pan last night, but I really want a large round pan to get more coverage beneath the grid.