Sign in to follow this  
Danwilderspin

New warped kontrol tower :-(

Hi all - last week I treated myself to a new kontrol tower for my classic I. Today I thought I’d do some pizzas as the weather was nice and hot and put the kontrol tower on before I started. Anyway cooking around 700ish so

fairly hot I shut the vents all down when done and notice the top warped? Surely this is a massive design fault if it’s thst thin it can do that? It not catches when I turn it which is not what I paid £70 for! Is this normal with these or should i go to kj about this? A little reluctant as I feel I may get a name for myself as just had the new firebox and the base has gained a crack they are replacing! 

9 minutes ago, Danwilderspin said:

Hi all - last week I treated myself to a new kontrol tower for my classic I. Today I thought I’d do some pizzas as the weather was nice and hot and put the kontrol tower on before I started. Anyway cooking around 700ish so

fairly hot I shut the vents all down when done and notice the top warped? Surely this is a massive design fault if it’s thst thin it can do that? It not catches when I turn it which is not what I paid £70 for! Is this normal with these or should i go to kj about this? A little reluctant as I feel I may get a name for myself as just had the new firebox and the base has gained a crack they are replacing! 

Post a photo?  Are you saying that it was not warped when you put it on and was warped after you cooked with it?

I will indeed - side question John as you know your stuff - I have a brand new gasket fitted to the chimney and original daisy wheel setup was very tight. If I open this fully up so swing the partial venting out the weight of it tilts the hole vent as it’s not tight enough on the chimney - is that normal? I’d need to double gasket or something if so..

4 hours ago, Danwilderspin said:

I will indeed - side question John as you know your stuff - I have a brand new gasket fitted to the chimney and original daisy wheel setup was very tight. If I open this fully up so swing the partial venting out the weight of it tilts the hole vent as it’s not tight enough on the chimney - is that normal? I’d need to double gasket or something if so..

Yes.. you will likely need some additional gasket material to get the kontrol tower to fit snugly.

I also started pulling the center piece when the pivot point got gunked up and froze shut. Johns video on high heat cleaning fixed that but i still lift the center piece out, and it will get hot fast with it off. Don't understand why it pivots unless it's for the users that are used to the old stye.

12 hours ago, Danwilderspin said:

Yes that’s what i ended up doing  makes more sense butt hen that begs the question why does it swing out at all 

I agree it doesn't need to swing out and i was against that during the design process but it happened anyway.

Has anyone had issues with getting the Kontrol Tower to slide out? I bought one last year to upgrade my classic Big Joe and I could never get mine to slide out, so I've been only using the dials. I emailed KJ about it but their response was just push to slide out, which obviously I tried numerous times without success.