Sign in to follow this  
buckleybj

Fun w/ Boneless Pork Shoulder

I accidentally bought a two pack of bonless pork shoulder from Costco. I have always used bone-in, so this is new to me. As I was preparing the butts trimming sinew, silver skin, hard fat, veins etc, I started also cutting portions of the butts into sections. I now have two 4 lb boneless butts and several large scraps.

This has provided me the opportunity to use the vertical spit I bought from Ceramicgrillstore.com a few months ago. I'm excited to say the least. :-D

I'll post picture of the meal later this afternoon when I build it get it going. Here are pics of what I ended up with after trimming and then the portions I will smoke overnight for pulled pork tomorrow.

20190519092940_IMG_4586.JPG

20190519093740_IMG_4594.JPG

17 hours ago, buckleybj said:

I went with the middle sized, 9" spit. 

20190519162152_IMG_4616.JPG

Thanks!  Just did taco's al pastor on the grill.  4 wooden skewers was not a stable arrangement.

5 hours ago, paintflinger said:

Thanks!  Just did taco's al pastor on the grill.  4 wooden skewers was not a stable arrangement.

Yeah, this was my first try and I didn't cut the pork large enough. I was only able to get 2 lbs if the 4 lbs of scraps I had on this spit.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By philpom
      they've been on for a bit, cruising at 215°f.  Going to finish each one differently but still debating the details.

• By itskrod00
      Want to purchase one of these accessories.  My question is can the soap stone do everything the cast iron can do plus more?

I imagine the soapstone wouldnt get as hot as the cast iron?
      I imagine the cast iron cooking, more food would possibly stick and more maintenance

or

are they too very different tools for different type cooks/food.
    • By Tarnation
      Dumped in the last of my Cowboy lump for a Saturday night pork butt. If you've seen any of the negative comments on Cowboy I didn't have any problems with the bag I had.  It was definitely a lot smokier start than my old KJ Big Block, but produced good food. See you smoke Cowboy! Up next is a bag of RO XL cut should be fun.  For now I've got a pork butt to cook.

• By Kamado_Rich
      Ok so I started my first pork butt cook with a pit temp of 275.  It is a 8 pound bone in pork but.  After 2 hours the internal meat temp is already 124!?!  Is this normal?  I was thinking at 275 I was looking at about an hour a pound?  I backed the pit down to 250.  Should I be worried or am I over thinking this?
    • By wk3660
      Just received my Kamado Joe.  I had an egg years ago, way before technology introduced itself into the sphere.  There is so much information and so many products to chose from I am in information overload.  I will be doing brisket & pulled pork from time to time, but will mainly do chicken and the usual dinner staples.  Should I make the investment into something that is scalable with a fan added eventually, or just get a great wireless thermometer and trust proven cooking ability and forget about a fan.  Thanks for the replies.