I love Tacos al pastor but have never made them myself. They are a popular street food here in SoCal and Mexico and I finally decided to try my hand at making some. Forgive me as this is a long one.

I started out by thawing a Pork Butt I had in the freezer that I had purchased on sale for $.99 a lb. (7.93 lbs.)

40912369713_1811d0d963_z.jpg

I unwrapped it and found there was still some ice crystals on it. (which is what I was hoping for to make cutting it easier)

40912370093_65f1a41625_z.jpg

I cut it in half and deboned the other half.

47878801621_9f4cb6f864_z.jpg

I proceeded to cut it all up into approximately 3/8” slices.

34001583568_400a6968da_z.jpg

I placed this into a large container, covered it and placed it into the fridge. I now gathered up the ingredients for the al pastor marinade.

40912370533_6d00f589e3_z.jpg

Here’s the recipe I used. (It’s a combination of several recipes I watched on YouTube) Not shown in the picture are the pineapple juice and the vinegar.

8 lb bone-in pork shoulder (deboned)

4 tablespoons achiote paste (I used 1 – 3.5 oz. brick)

2 guajillo peppers (seeded and re-hydrated)

2 ancho peppers (seeded and re-hydrated)

3 Chipotle peppers + all the adobo sauce from 1 - 7 oz. can

5 garlic cloves

¼ small white or yellow onion

1 oz. Piloncillo (substitute brown sugar if you can find it)

1 tbsp. dried oregano (preferably Mexican)

1 tbsp. cumin                                                                            

1 tbsp. salt

1 tbsp. pepper

1 tsp. cinnamon (preferably Mexican)

1 tsp, cloves

½ cup pineapple juice

½ cup white vinegar

¼ cup OO

¼ cup of the water from re-hydrating the peppers

¼ cup orange juice

¼ cup lime juice

1 pineapple, skinned and sliced into 1-inch (2 cm) rounds (for the spit/trompo)

(Note: I only had some small guajillo chiles so I used 6 of them)

Everybody went into the pool for a spin.

47878802451_9ea5b4404b_z.jpg

I poured some marinade into the bottom of a very large bowl and then some pork slices.

47089321164_5e369762b2_z.jpg

I repeated this process until all the pork was in the bowl and pour the rest of the marinade over the top. I then stirred it until everything had a nice coating.

34001583828_ffe8fdb35d_z.jpg

Now how will I cook this? Tacos al pastor is a dish developed in central Mexico that is based on shawarma spit grilled meat brought by Lebanese immigrants. It is traditionally cooked on a vertical spit known as a trompo. I don’t have such an exotic grill, so I had to improvise. I had found this indoor grill plate at a local thrift store for $2.17

35865812014_3b393d74ff_z.jpg

and used it to create a vertical spit.

46965292675_270cf5e612_z.jpg

I now peeled and sliced up the pineapple

47886791451_c6d65fb764_z.jpg

And started my vertical trompo stack adding a slice of pineapple and red onion after every 6 or 7 layers of meat.

47886792961_5d07158aa9_z.jpg

40920414773_e1a6d39c6f_z.jpg

47886794531_bbbb60c0fc_z.jpg

I place the stack in the center of my weber redhead with coals all around it.

47097425454_b9832ec539_z.jpg

I then setup my craving station.

46970683145_83724e0880_z.jpg

Here it is after approximately 30 minutes.

47097428134_a15700eb01_z.jpg

After approximately 75 minutes I removed the trompo and craved off the outer charred layer. (The char is an important part of the taste profile)

40920418653_2ffbe2143c_z.jpg

I then placed the trompo back in the redhead to char the outside again.

47097430574_56b285be42_z.jpg

So pretty!

46970691965_1e459e25ac_z.jpg

I then repeated the process another 3 times.

47097459834_40c485bce9_z.jpg

46970722295_1e59987e72_z.jpg

After I had trimmed off the outside 3 times I set up my taco cart errrr bar

47886805171_3db074b94d_z.jpg

and started to assemble my street taco plate.

46970690145_71063d41cd_z.jpg

Oh Yum!

47834850362_6096f64b8a_b.jpg

Here it is served up with a Modelo Especial.

46970724525_a4815336b7_b.jpg

47834849452_c3a20019fc_b.jpg

This was a little on the spicy side but oh so delicious!         

40920421913_03cfbabe7b_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

4 hours ago, DerHusker said:

35865812014_3b393d74ff_z.jpg

and used it to create a vertical spit.

46965292675_270cf5e612_z.jpg

I now peeled and sliced up the pineapple

47886791451_c6d65fb764_z.jpg

And started my vertical trompo stack adding a slice of pineapple and red onion after every 6 or 7 layers of meat.

47886792961_5d07158aa9_z.jpg

40920414773_e1a6d39c6f_z.jpg

47886794531_bbbb60c0fc_z.jpg

I place the stack in the center of my weber redhead with coals all around it.

Do you think this could be reproduced on a horizontal spit (think spit roast Chicken) or after the marinade is the meat too tender? 

13 hours ago, &roid said:

Wow that looks amazing, I’ve got to try that!

what sort of temp was your Weber running at during the cook? Did you add any wood for extra smoke?

Thank you &riod. 

I started it out slow, like at 250. I slowly ramped up the temp to mostly 350 but it once got as high as 415 and hear the end was down to 300. I didn't put any wood on the coals as a Mexican Taquero using a real trompo doesn't have any smoke. Just using the charcoal briquettes was cheating enough.

Fascinating. I made tacos al pastor once but did it fajitas-style because of the lack of a vertical rotisserie. It came out great, but I'd like to do them better. @DerHusker, I did some searching online. It looks like you're using a Korean BBQ grill plate like this one. I take it you then drilled a hole in it and attached a spike through it for cooking? Did you ever rotate it through the cook? What temperature were you cooking at on the Weber?

On 5/20/2019 at 3:17 AM, ndg_2000 said:

Do you think this could be reproduced on a horizontal spit (think spit roast Chicken) or after the marinade is the meat too tender? 

Yes you can go the horizontal route. The problem going horizontal route are you need to press it together tight to hold the meat in. This pressing together pushed out much of the marinade. then as it turns and heats up the juices also will leak out more than a vertical spit might. 

Regarding my spit: the juices still leak out but definitely not as much as a horizontal spit might.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By DerHusker
      Since my Husker Game was finally on in the evening we had a watch party at our house. I wanted something we could eat while watching the game, so I decided on Runzas (AKA Bierocks) and corn on the cob. (Both of which are Nebraska staples) I followed Cowgirl’s recipe with a few changes this time.

This time I subbed out a 1 lb. chub of Jimmy Deans regular sausage for one 1 lb. of hamburger. I also tripled the amount of garlic. Both tweaks really added to the flavor and I’ll be doing so on all future batches.

Here’s a link to a thread of my first attempt making these where the original recipe can be found.

https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/23518-dutch-oven-bierocks-or-runzas-or-whatever-you-want-to-call-them/

Started out making up the dough.

Prepped all the ingredients and took them all out to my gas side burner.

Sweated the onion and added the hamburger.

After the hamburger was mostly browned I added the salt, pepper and cabbage and cooked until it wilted.

The dough had risen nicely so

rolled it out into a log

and cut it into 8 roughly equal pieces and formed each piece into a ball.

I then rolled each piece into an approximate 7” round and placed 2 giant spoonful’s in the center.

I folded up the edges and pitched them together and placed each into my Dutch Oven that I had already smeared with butter. I repeated this process until it was full. I prepped my kamado for the Dutch Oven and preheated it to 325.

I then closed the lid and let this bake for approximately 35 minutes. And here is the result.

I carefully cut around each one and plated one up with a ear of corn and wash this down with a Pizza Port Brewing Swami’s I.P.A. (IPA not shown)

Yum!

Everyone thought they were delicious and the game results were good as well.

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      It’s been hot this last week here in Low Cal (Upper 90’s to low 100’s) but today it cooled off, so I grilled a few Cheeseburgers. I started out by cutting 2 russet potatoes up into 1/8th and then tossed in some OO and seasoned with some fresh ground salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and some thyme. I then seasoned the patties with Primo Chicago Stockyard rub. Here they are on the grill ready to be flipped.

Flipped them.

I then removed the patties and toasted the buns. While they were toasting I added some cheddar cheese slices to the patties. Once the buns were done I put the patties back on to melt the cheese.

Here it is plated up with the Steak Fries and a Modelo Especial.  

YUM!

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      Sent the long weekend off in style with a Double Meat Double Cheese Burger. Fired up Jr. for the patties.

Flipped and removed them when they were done so I could add the cheese.

Toasted the buns.

One more time of the grill to melt the cheese.

Plated this up with some watermelon, potato salad and a Stone Brewing Xocoveza. (Yum!)

After a few bites of this monster.

So good!

Thanks for looking.

• By DerHusker
      For the long weekend we started out being invited over to our neighbor’s house for hamburgers. I was tasked with grilling up some corn.

Once these started getting some golden-brown char marks, I put them in a large rectangular pan and covered them with foil. We took this over with two each, 3 portion plates of fixings. One plate had a stick of butter, salt and black pepper for traditional American style corn of the cob. The other plate had some mayo, Tajin seasoning and come Cotija Cheese for Mexican style street corn. Didn’t feel like I should be taking pictures at their house so that’s all I can share from the 4th.
      Today I grilled up some hamburger patties on my Akorn Jr. for some cheese burgers.

After they were done I removed them and toasted the buns while I added the cheese to the burgers.

One more stop on the grill to melt the cheese.

Here is mine plated up with some potato salad, some watermelon and a Stone Brewing Vanilla Bean Porter.

There nothing quite like enjoying a good cheeseburger on the 4th of July weekend.

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      Chicken is my wife’s favorite and I like to cook things she’ll like, most of the time , so I cooked up some Chichen Shawarma. Started out by skinning and de-boning some chicken thighs that I had thawed out. I cut each in half and set them aside in the fridge.

I now got out the ingredients for a yogurt based Sharwarma marinade.

Everybody in the pool

and gave it a good spin with the whisk.

I then put the chicken thighs in and stirred it up to get complete coverage on all surfaces.

I then covered the bowl with plastic wrap and placed them in the fridge to rest overnight. Now I made up a batch of Tzatziki.

Link to recipes:

The next day I broke out my vertical spit.

And loaded it up with the Shawarma and topped it with a nice thick slice of red onion

After I had preheated my kamado up to 325 for 1/2 hour I put the Shawarma in.

I checked on it after about 25 minutes and knew it could go much longer.

After about 1 hour I started getting everything ready. I cut up my veggies

and got the Tzatziki out.

I also set up my craving station.

Once the Shawarma developed some char on it, I removed it and sliced off the outer layer and then placed it back in the kamado.

I warmed up some flat bread and spooned on some Tzatziki and then made up some Shawarma Sammi’s.

Here they are served street food style with a Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin and some mandarin orange slices.

SO GOOD!

Thanks for looking.