Sign in to follow this  
Easto

Pizza Sauce Recipe...?

I have seen a lot of recipes for pizza dough on here.    I’m a big fan of the artisan recipe.  

I have not not seen much in terms of pizza Sauce and I’ve found that pizza Sauce can make or break the final results Of your pizza. 

Ive never been a big fan of store bought Sauce and I think an amazing pizza Sauce is what’s keeping me from making restaurant or better quality pizza at home.  

Does anyone have a pizza sauce recipe they use? 

I don't really have a set recipe but I do follow my own basic guidelines. 

Canned San Marzano tomatoes. 

For hot fast pizzas I use a fresh sauce (not cooked). I crush and Chop the tomatoes and drain out as much liquid as possible. A pinch of salt, sugar and sometimes a little oregano. Trying to get a bright tomato flavor. 

For pan pizzas I make a cooked sauce. Chop a can or two of tomatoes. Add the liquid back in straining out and seeds if possible. Sometimes I add a can of Italian tomato sauce and sometimes paste. Depends on how much I'm making and how thin it is to start with. Salt, sugar, oregano, basil, garlic all to taste. You do need to add the spices and simmer for 20-30 minutes before tasting. I tend to go easy on the spices. 

That's basically my method. Just keep in mind if you add more spices you have to simmer another 20-30 minutes before trying again. 

I also don't care for the store bought sauce, too sweet usually.  This is what my wife makes and it floats my boat.  

7 oz can tomato sauce

1/8 C water

1/2 t sugar

1/4 t dried oragano

1/8 t basil

1/8 t garlic pwd

1/8 t salt

pinch black pepper

1/2 bay leaf

1/4 t Italian seasoning

Combine in sauce pan on low heat till it thickens.

t=teaspoon

Just now, Easto said:

When I order store bought pizza, I like extra sauce.    I’m probably in the minority here, but for some reason I like saucy pizza

If it's some kind of pan or deep dish I like it saucy. Saucy will ruin a super thin pizza. I don't cook many regular thin crust pizzas. 

I have a different take on sauce, many might balk at it but I'll post.  Works well for us, I usually make thin or cracker crust pizza and as @ckreef said, for thin crust pizza less is more.  Pizza can be delicate from a flavor POV.  Just like a good tamale I want to taste those flavors and not mask it with a heavy sauce but instead compliment it.

Two 15 OZ cans of plain tomato sauce

One 1/2 TB of dried Oregano

One 1/2 TB  of dried Basil

Two ts of garlic powder

Blend well and leave in the fridge overnight or longer.  Get fancy and simmer it for 30 minutes first.  It's simple and tastes good.

Here is what I have been using the past few years....My wife and I love it.  I usually make up about 3 batches and vacuum seal them in mason jars-will last for months in fridge.

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 anchovy fillets
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes (preferably San Marzano), crushed
  • salt to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 small pinch baking soda

Directions

1. Heat olive oil over medium-low heat in a saucepan; stir anchovy fillets into olive oil and cook, stirring often, until the fillets begin to sizzle, about 1 minute. Mix garlic into oil and cook just until fragrant, 1 minute more. Add fresh oregano and reduce heat to low; cook until oregano is wilted, 2 or 3 more minutes.
  2. Mix red pepper flakes, dried oregano, and tomatoes into olive oil mixture. Bring sauce to a simmer and season with salt, sugar, and black pepper. Turn heat to low; simmer sauce until thickened and oil rises to the top, 35 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Stir baking soda into pizza sauce, mixing until thoroughly combined.

1 (28-ounce) can whole San Marzano tomatoes , I use Cento

2 tbls good olive oil

1/4 cup grated onion

3-4 cloves garlic

2-3 tsp Italian Seasoning

1-2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

1 tsp each salt and sugar (can add more salt to taste )

Crush tomatoes with your hands . Heat a heavy medium sauce pan over medium heat

add olive oil, onions , Italian seasoning , and red pepper flakes for 2 to 3 minutes

add the garlic and cook for another minute . Turn heat down to medium low add  the

tomatoes , salt , and sugar to the pot cook for 30 to 45 minutes . Take off heat

for about 5 minutes and then use an immersion blender and bring to a slightly

chunky consistency .  Will keep in refrigerator fo about a week to 10 days.