Kamado Joe maiden voyage - filet mignon

I purchased my grill in December and finally got around to using it Sunday afternoon.  I have been cooking sous vide and using a cast iron pan lately, but the smoke has been terrible. 

For or my first time grilling,  I decided on baked potatoes, steaks and asparagus. Started the fire with a twisted paper towel wetted with vegetable oil. 

The fire got hotter than intended, and stayed hotter than intended.  I started with the potatoes and let them cook for nearly an hour above the heat deflector. Then I added the raw steaks, and eventually the asparagus that were prepared with some oil and seasoning.

I was prepared for disaster but everything came out delicious. I forgot to open up the vents for the sear, but as I said, the grill was hot. 

BBEBC8D5-5905-48E7-8146-256568B98C9A.jpeg

9B1AEA58-863E-40F2-A858-4A74E23E446A.jpeg

D1A9C9C2-78D6-4034-8B8F-143CD0EFC95E.jpeg

That looks delicious - it’s great to finally get using something you’ve had for a while isn’t it? I did that with a joule sous vide last year - must have had it about six months before I was able to get it up and running. 

Whats next on the menu...??