daninpd

Western Lump at Walmart

On 5/23/2019 at 1:20 AM, daninpd said:

One of my local Walmart's has Western hardwood lump  charcoal in 30 lb bags for $9.88.  I have used it in the past and liked it.   I bought 7 bags to last a while.

my Dad bought me a few bags at a low price, its good stuff

Just opened my first bag of 4.  Smelled good, burned same as other brands.  I will buy more.  At $10 per bag this has to be much more cost effective in a Kamado than pellets in a pellet grill.

I smoked some salmon this morning (at under 180 for 90 minutes) finishing  off my current bag of Western using cherry wood.  Burned off everything after getting the salmon out to make room for a test of a bag of FOGO Quebracho to see if spending 4 times as much for lump is worth if.   We'll see.

Been super impressed with the B&B Oak Lump I got in 40 pound bags at Academy Sports for $14.98/bag. The pieces are monstrous and very dense. Sometimes it’s harder to light the dense lump but it burns super hot and clean. I see why Big Moe Cason uses it in his kamados and competition rigs. Highly recommend it!

35 minutes ago, Mr Cue said:

I got in 40 pound bags at Academy Sports for $14.98/bag

Academy Sports have a warning on their website that they can't ship anything to California.  They haven't deciphered the requirements/regulations/laws/BS that the commie government of CA has put out there.  I live in this mess, Academy Sports ain't a option.

On 7/18/2019 at 12:02 AM, daninpd said:

Academy Sports have a warning on their website that they can't ship anything to California.  They haven't deciphered the requirements/regulations/laws/BS that the commie government of CA has put out there.  I live in this mess, Academy Sports ain't a option.

That’s too bad, I don’t see how anyone can do business in that state. The other day my Production Manager and I were talking in the breakroom about the Prop65 warning on the wrapper of his White Castle burgers he grabbed out of the vending machine. How can something be safe to eat yet contain carcinogens? I think everything causes cancer in California.