fotomatt1

Boston Butt stalled temp. Help!!

I've had a Boston Butt on my KJ Classic II since 8am.  It's about 6.5 lbs.  Grill is at 225ºF and has been there most of the day.  Everything was progressing nicely until I hit about 145.  It's only gone up 3ºF in the past 2 and a half hours.  I was going to wrap it in foil when it hit 160 and put it back on until 195º as I typically do, but not sure why the temp isn't going up.  I've checked it in several spots and it's consistent.  Any advice?

When it starts going up will it rise quickly? My wife is starting to get annoyed that dinner is going to be late.  

21 minutes ago, fotomatt1 said:

When it starts going up will it rise quickly? My wife is starting to get annoyed that dinner is going to be late.  

The sooner you wrap it the quicker it will finish. 

8 am is pretty late to start a butt. If it goes 10 hours then you rest for an hour that gives you 7 pm to start pulling it. You might want to whip up a quick appetizer to feed the Mrs to hold her over. 

Dude, like CK said....8am start is pretty late.   Wake up earlier, have some foil on hand, and 225 can be cranked up if seadlines ar an issue. 275 is no prob.

Hope it turned out great! While normally they do stall in the 160 range I've had them stall early before like yours did. Lately I've been cooking them in the 275 range rather than 225-250 to help avoid the stall. Honestly I believe I like them better when cooked in the 275 range due to the bark it produces, yet the meat seems just as tender to me. 

I had something similar last week with a pork butt that I did.  4.95 pounds done in just under 6 hours.  The grill kept wanting to drift up and finally stabilized at around 260-270 for most of the cook.  Wrapped at 145.  Hit 150 10-15 minutes later.  I thought I dodged/powered through the stall.  Hit 161 and wouldn't budge more than a degree in the next hour.  I opened the vents and let the grill drift up to 315.  We were eating good about two hours later.  Managed to go from 160-170 and then 170 to 200 in about an hour each.  It practically melted in your mouth.

I will enthusiastically agree that 275 makes for great bbq with less time.  These might be fighting words, but I'll even go as far as saying that 225 is overrated as the gold standard temp...  There's so many variables in a cook that I have never had a meal where I could tell whether or not it cooked at 225.

Forgive me if I am just being a dumb Northerner.  I know not what I say...

If I am not doing an overnight cook on my butts I do them around 300 degrees now. I can't tell the difference in the finished product and I don't get a stall at all when doing so.