Jump to content

First attempt at pork ribs not perfect


Mrwordsworth
 Share

Recommended Posts

So I bought some Louisiana style pork ribs this weekend. I put the rub on and put back into the fridge for a day. Fired up the kamado till temp was about 250 and regulated it down to 225. The temp held at 225 extremely well but I didnt get any meat pullback until about the 5 hour mark. At 6 hours the meat wasnt bending like I've seen in many videos so I adjusted temp to just shy of 300 and cooked for another hour covering the meat with a beer/sauce mix. The meat started to bend more so I added my barbecue sauce and cooked for another 15-20 minutes and by this time it was almost 9pm. 

 

So my cook lasted about 7 hours and the ribs were not as tender as I had hoped. Iam not sure if I should have cooked at 250-275 maybe, or if I should have wrapped in foil at some point? The meat was pretty decent and juicy but I was looking for more tender, almost fall of the bone consistency. My ribs were cheap(from Walmart) but weren't stiff or anything when raw.

 

What do you guys do to ensure a great rack of ribs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What are Louisiana style pork ribs?  I’ve never heard of them. Usually, pork ribs are spare ribs or baby back. Sometimes you hear of country ribs, but those aren’t really ribs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Mrwordsworth said:

... meat pullback until about the 5 hour mark. At 6 hours the meat wasn't bending like I've seen in many videos...

I use meat pullback as an indication when to test, and a gentle twist of the rib as the test. I like them when the bone still sticks, but easily twists out of the socket. Try that test the next time; I suspect they were done around 5 hrs. 

Have fun

Frank 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've tried 225 and it just won't get the job done, 275/300 is the way to go.

I hate to say it but 321 does work as long (IMHO) you don't add any liquid to the foil.

In fact, I prefer to poke some holes in the underside and catch the drippings in a pan and THEN add them to the final sauce mopping liquid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, BrianAZ said:

What are Louisiana style pork ribs?  I’ve never heard of them. Usually, pork ribs are spare ribs or baby back. Sometimes you hear of country ribs, but those aren’t really ribs. 

 

In one of John Setzlers videos on ribs, he describes Louisiana style as simply the way the rack is cut and prepared for mostly esthetic reasons. So basically any meat hanging over the rib bones are cut square along with the ends so you have a rectangle basically. At least that was my interpretation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Mrwordsworth said:

Thanks guys. I'll shoot for 275 next and try some foil. I think I may add some apple wood too. Is it ok if theres some bark on the apple wood or should I try to knock it off?

 

Bark is okay. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mrwordsworth said:

 

In one of John Setzlers videos on ribs, he describes Louisiana style as simply the way the rack is cut and prepared for mostly esthetic reasons. So basically any meat hanging over the rib bones are cut square along with the ends so you have a rectangle basically. At least that was my interpretation.

 

So a St. Louis cut?  I have never heard these referred to as Louisiana, but St. Louis is a term that is pretty universal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, m-fine said:

 

So a St. Louis cut?  I have never heard these referred to as Louisiana, but St. Louis is a term that is pretty universal. 

 

That's probably what it was then and I just got my geography crossed lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If anyone is curious, I did baby back ribs today cooking at 270-300, 2 hours uncovered and 1 hour wrapped in foil and they turned out great! This was a different cut of pork ribs than what I did last time so Iam not sure how that affected the result. They were tasty though!

20190602_175416.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours seem like a long time.

How many times did you peek at your cook? Opening the cooker will add time to the cook (as opening releases heat)

Do you have a secondary thermometer? It's possible that your thermometer is off and you were cooking at a lower temperature.

Russell

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Youngbuyer said:

7 hours seem like a long time.

How many times did you peek at your cook? Opening the cooker will add time to the cook (as opening releases heat)

Do you have a secondary thermometer? It's possible that your thermometer is off and you were cooking at a lower temperature.

Russell

 

I peaked at the ribs maybe once every other hour, keeping the lid low and open time short. One of the first things I did when I put my k24 together was to check my thermometer in boiling water and I was within 5 degrees. I do have a probe thermometer as well I use for chicken and turkey etc. I dont know how the best way to attach it to my grill though to measure heat where Iam cooking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...