I’m thinking one day Mr. KK is going to realize that those thick cut steaks like that are meant for sharing. Maybe.... ;)

Looks really good. Seems like you got a nice crust on it with the soapstone. I am inspired to break out my new one and start using it. Big Joe got the first cook of the weekend on Saturday. Won’t be long before that’s my go to cooking spot for the summer. 

Guessing your shared meal meal was a huge success. Nice job. :)

It was, thanks! Even had a extra unexpected guest show up. Originally, it was meant for my son and I. He bailed on me to spend the day with his 'friend' and I was desperate to cook it today so extended the last minute invite to my parents (mom loves to sit out in the sun on my patio). There was still steak leftover so, I can't imagine eating it in a single sitting. 40oz? No that's definitely sharable unless you're doing a Man vs Food episode. 

:rofl:

How do you like the soapstone compared to cast iron?

i really like the sear/crust that i get from my iron...

what is your pro/con list for each, if you would be so kind as to share your thought...

55 minutes ago, TexasBlues said:

How do you like the soapstone compared to cast iron?

i really like the sear/crust that i get from my iron...

what is your pro/con list for each, if you would be so kind as to share your thought...

No cast iron on this end. My grate is stainless steel. But regarding the soapstone itself: Cons– Can get extremely filthy / oily. Must heat and cool gradually. If grill is not obsolutely level, you will 'chase' any oil that you put on it. Pros– Can be washed and is not porous. No seasoning required, cannot lose seasoning. Retains heat incredibly well. I use it for everything from bacon to veggies to chicken to steak and it works great for all.

On 5/30/2019 at 6:16 PM, CentralTexBBQ said:

... let her have the bone... 

My mother had a similar affinity, often repeating: "The nearer the bone, the sweeter the meat" when she got one. It explains why the only steak cut I remember from my childhood is the T-bone. 

Frank

On 6/12/2019 at 12:52 AM, CentralTexBBQ said:

Has more to do with where the kamado is sitting. Ig the kamado is on level footing, generally speaking, the stone will be as well.

Looking for some sneaky in the grill shim science!