Sign in to follow this  
Danwilderspin

Low and slow burnout?

Hi all - had my jr/classic for a while now and I seem to get this problem - and it only seems to be night cooks just to mess with me :-) if I try and shoot for really low temps (the bottom to middle of low on the thermometer on the dome) I fill the baskets up with lump and make a slight pyramid I then get it set up after a few minutes and let it stabilise for 45 mins. Fast forward to 4am alarm goes off as temps are dropping go out (everytime) look at the firebox it’s still full but a core has burnt right down to the bottom and burnt out so I then have to mess about re making it up - any ideas? If I got to top end of smoking it seems to spread ok?

cheers

Fill it up as high as you can with a flat top. Then light a very small spot on each side of the pile, using an imaginary line from the main vent to the rear of the grill and let your temps stabilize. I use this method on my Akorn Jr. and haven't and any problems like yours.