UK Kamado Convert

New UK Kamado User

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the world of Kamado cooking after looking for a traditional wood-fired pizza oven to replace our BBQ.

Although we wanted a pizza oven, we didn't want to lose the ability to BBQ as before.

I'd never heard of a Kamado oven before and the Kamado was the answer to our dreams!

To think that it can Tandoor as well as smoke and slow cook too was a fantastic bonus.

Looking forward to reading all the past and future posts to glean the experience of the forum members.

Best wishes to all.

Paul

Welcome, Convert, glad to have both you with us. Yes, a kamado is basically a charcoal fired convection oven and can cook most anything from BBQ classics, through breads, pies, pizza, and then on to fancy complicated recipes. What kind of kamado are you cooking on.?

We've got a Kamado that was on offer through Aldi UK and has now sold out. The price was £350 which is great for such a large(ish) Kamado. The grill area itself is 16 inches across which is fine for two of us.

We've already created a Jerk Chicken dish (with authentic Jamaican Pimento wood) on it along with; ribs, sirloin, and pizza.

We added pit fried Plantain and Kamado roasted sweet potato to the Jerk Chicken washed down with Red Stripe beer!

We just quite haven't mastered the pizza yet but we know where we went wrong so looking forward to furthering trials :D 

IMG_20190516_163811c.jpg

IMG_20190516_172951c.jpg

IMG_20190516_173147c.jpg

Cooking a mushroom pie

IMG_0376.thumb.jpeg.5cd90ac6130dff9d286e86189904c540.jpeg

The best tip I can give you is to use stone temp taken with a laser thermometer probe in the middle of the stone. I shoot mine with the lid closed right down the center of the open top vent. I want a stone temp of between 550 and 650 before I put a pie on. Ps. I have seen the Aldi kamados on line, they look to be a fine and capable kamado, enjoy your entry into kamado cooking and the forum conversation as well. 

Thanks for the advice. We'll use our IR laser on the next attempt. The Aldi came with a great set-up with regards to the upper grills. We can use these to place the deflector over the fire bowl and place the pizza stone above this higher up in the oven.

The weather looks to be improving for the weekend so pizza and other great dishes will be on the menu....

26 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Cooking a mushroom pie

IMG_0376.thumb.jpeg.5cd90ac6130dff9d286e86189904c540.jpeg

The best tip I can give you is to use stone temp taken with a laser thermometer probe in the middle of the stone. I shoot mine with the lid closed right down the center of the open top vent. I want a stone temp of between 550 and 650 before I put a pie on. Ps. I have seen the Aldi kamados on line, they look to be a fine and capable kamado, enjoy your entry into kamado cooking and the forum conversation as well. 

Thanks for the tips and visuals! Also, now I "have to" go get a laser thermal...

Congratulations on you purchasing the Aldi kamado there is a learning curve but it is worth the effort even bad cooks taste good on a kamado. 

I'm also in the UK and opted for the Pitt Boss from Costco and haven't looked back. 

Welcome! I've heard good things about them. There's a Facebook group for them and a chap on there makes steel deflectors (half moon too), along with pizza steels for them. I've got a pizza steel, they are great quality if your ceramic ones break.